Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

I am confused - Applesauce help needed.........

dancinglemons
13 years ago

Hello all,

I really love homemade applesauce. I do not however like the smooth as silk texture of some applesauce. I do not have a source for fresh apples at the present time so must use what is available locally in stores (read Wal**Mart). I can get Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Gala, Jonagold, Macintosh and Pink Lady. I can also get Yellow Delicious but I don't like that flavor. Which of these apples will give me a more crunchy and less silky/slimy applesauce after processing in canner?? It seems that the applesauce is fine and then after canning it changes texture - quite a bit. I use the washed and de-waxed apples with peel still on, sugar and only a bit of cinnamon for flavor. I cook (lightly) the applesauce before jarring and waterbath canning. I would also welcome tips and techniques. DH has promised to drive up into the mountains this fall for some apple buying so if anyone has a suggestion for type of apple - please post.

Thanks,

DL

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg092016519626.html

is a good post on varieties of apples and contains links to many other discussions on 'favorite apples' for sauce, canning, and drying.

For applesauce, many recommend a mix of varieties for the best flavor. But texture is more of a preparation issue than a variety issue although using the hard variety apples like Gravenstein, Arkansas Black, Jonagold, etc. rather than the soft ones like the Delicious will give you a more coarse texture.

Skip milling it too for a more coarse texture although if you aren't going to peel them first as generally recommended then you'd have all the peel left in.

Check out the discussions below on applesauce for more info.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Applesauce recipes and discussions

• val_s
    13 years ago

Peel the apples first, then cook, run through a food processor (best way) or a blender (small batches) just until you get the desired consistency. I don't like mine real runny and smooth either so a few pulses in the food processor does the trick. The consistency maintains even after processing.

Val

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I love Gala apples. Them and Fuji are my favorites for anything.
    Granny Smith are awful tart for applesauce. Red Delicious are too soft and mushy. They are best for eating. I really don't like them .
    Johnagold would be good.
    I do the food processor method, too. I find it the best way for me. However I puree them raw, then cook ! I like the texture and ease of it best. No messing with hot applesauce. Just cook, put in the jars and process.
    If you want it more chunky, you can also just dice and cook and mash with a potato masher.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    13 years ago

Pink Ladies make excellent apple sauce. I don't like the little flecks of peel in the finished sauce, so I peel, seed, and cut them in chunks. Then I cook them with a cinnamon stick until I can crush them up with a potato masher or run it through the coarse plate of the food mill.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks one and all!! I should have clarified about the peel. I leave peel on when cooking but remove it completely before canning sauce. I will make a batch with the food processor - now why didn't I think of that??

DL

• zabby17
    13 years ago

DL,

To remove the peel after cooking, you use a food mill or sieve, yes?

If you like it not too smooth, I'd suggest peeling and coring the apples first. (And chop roughly, or even finely in food processor.) That way you can cook it as much or as little as you like to get a good consistency with some "body" left in it. Stop cooking when it's just a little LESS smooth than you want it, since it'll cook a bit more when you process.

I'm one of those who recommends a mix of apple types for best flavour (and for an interesting texture, as some will soften more and sooner).

Of the kinds you mentioned, Granny Smith and Jonagold are pretty sturdy. Macintoshes a bit less so but hold up OK. Their flavour makes a very nice sauce, IMHO. Delicious will definitely soften quickly.

If it comes out more tart than you like it from the varieties you choose (e.g. including some Granny Smiths), you can just add a little sweetener (sugar, or honey).

Life is too short not to have applesauce the way you like it! Good luck!

Z