Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missrumphius

Fix for un-jelled jam

missrumphius
10 years ago

I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I can't locate it. (I find it odd that a search for "fix for too soft jam" brings up several posts about manure. That's a little scary!)

I made a batch of ginger jam (Helen Witty's recipe) that, a month later, is still liquid. I have instructions (copied from I don't remember where) for re-cooking it with sugar, lemon juice and additional commercial pectin. I was wondering if I could, instead, use green apple jelly (from Ferber's Mes Confitures) and if so, how much to add.

Any suggestions are very welcome.
Elaina

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Am I remembering correctly that that recipe calls for liquid pectin?

One of my sources says 2/3 cup of apple pectin stock is sufficient to set 4 cups of low-pectin fruit or juice, but of course these things are very iffy. However, it may give you a starting point.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've been researching apple pectin, depending on how 'strong' the jelliying action will determine how much to use. Any where from 2/3 cup per 4 cups of fruit to equal parts.

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christina Ferber's recipes use green apple jelly not straight apple pectin. Her recipes are always a bit mysterious in that they do not tell you what quantity they produce but in my experience a recipe asking for 7 ozs of green apple jelly (along with various amounts of low pectin fruit, sweetener and other flavorings) usually produces about 6 jelly jars (8 oz) of jam. My jam does already contain commercial pectin so I assume I would add a lesser amount when re-cooking it. My only reason for trying this method is that I have found Ferber's jams really wonderful.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't know about using green apple jelly, but here's what Ball's website states about 'fixing' jellies.

When cooked jams or jellies prepared with liquid fruit pectin do not set, how can they be fixed?
    Before attempting to remake a jam, jelly or other fruit spread made with liquid fruit pectin, wait two weeks to determine if the product will gel. Not all recipes set within 24 hours. If after two weeks the product does not have a good set, it can be re-cooked in order to achieve a firmer texture.
    Measure the unset product to be re-cooked. Prepare only a single batch at one time. For each quart of unset product, measure 3âÂÂ4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons liquid pectin, set aside. Place one quart of unset product into a medium saucepan and bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Quickly add the sugar, lemon juice and liquid pectin; bring to a rolling boil, stir constantly. Boil mixture hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim foam if necessary. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1âÂÂ4-inch headspace. Adjust new lid and band on jar. Process in a boiling-water canner for the full length of time indicated in the original recipe.

Hope this helps

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you.
    I have used this method and it works. Since I have the green apple jelly on hand I would like to try using it. I'm going to try one jar - if that fails I will go back to the Blue Book method.
    But not today - it is a beautiful day and I have so much to do outside.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Keeping fingers crossed that the beautiful days last, but once you do get back into the kitchen, let us know how the Ferber jelly fix works.

Carol

• xcaret
    10 years ago

I just fixed my plum jam that was still runny, added another package of pectin and cooked for 20 min. now its a bit too gluey. But I;m a guy, and just starting out.
    This canning stuff is fun,hope my friends don't find out lol.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

the next time try PERSIMMON to make pectin. It is in season now.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

you probably added too much pectin, it's a very fine line between not enough and too much. Most 'fixes' call for 1-2t-T, not the whole box.

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I finally found time to try fixing my jam. And it worked. I did some (for me) complicated math to figure out how much green apple jelly would be equivalent to the 2T of pectin per quart of jelly in the Ball Blue Book fix. I tried with just one jar (8 oz) of the ginger marmalade, brought it to a boil, added just over 1T of green apple jelly , 1 T lemon juice and 1 T sugar, brought it back to a boil, stirring, boiled for 1 minute, put it back in a newly sterilized jar and processed for 10 minutes. And now I have jam rather than sauce. As soon as I can find time I will do the same to the other 5 jars. Isn't it awful how life and a job gets in the way of cooking?
    And, incidentally, the green apple jelly tastes really good just on its own.
    Elaina