Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Allamanda, Dipladenia or Mandevilla?

What are the main differences between allamanda, dipladenia and mandevilla? Next spring/summer, I want one a pink flowering vine, I just don't know which one. Are any of these the same plant? Or are all three different? If they are different, which do you prefer?

Comments (8)

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

Dipladenia is, I have read, is a synonium (sp) of Mandevilla. I have an Allamanda 'Cherries Jubilee' which is a much larger flower than the Mandeville. It is not so much a vining plant as the Mandevilla, but I have to keep it tied up to a lattice. The Mandevilla is more lke a vine. I bought it as a small shrub, but the new growth has tendrils like a vine. I like them both. They freeze back here in DeLand, but they always come back. The Mandevilla is a truer red and I believe the name is 'Scarlet' I see exactly the same plant sold as Dipladenia and Mandevilla.
    john

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, John! I appreciate the info.

Original Author
    14 years ago

A friend gave me an allamanda seed pod. So far, it is closed tightly. It is sitting on my counter in a small bowl. How long until it cracks open? Has anyone had any luck growing allamanda from seed? Thanks again for the help and advice!

• Ted Neumann
    5 years ago

As I read this I did not pay attention to the Handel, it was only at the end when it said Linda, I still paid.no attention until I got the info, then I saw your Sents of Heaven Handel and cried, because it was like me calling from mom and dad up to your house in Orlando, so you answered my question from heaven, love and miss you Linda

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Look at the long, beautiful reply your Mom left for both of us: for me in 2010, and for you, in 2018. God bless, Ted.

Carol

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

I just noticed that too. Oh my.

• Ted Neumann
    5 years ago

Back at the End of March after me telling dad about her Manda. and seeing a yellow one in another part of our complex, he had our landscape dig up the bushes in our back yard. in 3 days all the yellows were gone all that was left was a Pink, a Crimson, and a Red and Pink, so he settled with the 3 we got along with 2 Gardenia So this is all your Fault Linda, Dad Fell in Love and when he saw the Yellow, that is what he wanted, so Love, Thank you, and Miss You

Sadly The Pink and Red did not Survive, The Leaves Turned Yellow, and any new blooms before they opened, just drooped and fell off, so We Dug it up, and Dad got the Yellow to put in the Middle

after a early Morning run to Home Depot the Gardenias are on the furthest left and right-side while the Mada. or I should say the Allamandas

Side View, at 11:00AM, and at 2PM, we had a Thunderstorm

the one that dad wanted to get in the First Place but since the Red and Pink Died, this is what is in its place now

This is the Pink that is on the Left Side Next to the Gardenia

This is the Crimson on the Right next to the other Gardenia

After we got Rid of the Bushes

and This is what stated it all, This is what Linda had on the Right side of the Garage in her bulb, bed, she had several Amreli, society garlic, pink rain lily's, and 3 crinum lily's , and pots and pots , of stuff 5 roses in different colors, Caladiums , 2 boganvilas, one Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, 3 Night Blooming Crus (I have 2 with me now) Will post some of those pics under Her Soon, All the roses and Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow did not survive the Hot and Dry Summer last year (2017) , All the Caladiums, went to the went to Neighbors, and the Amreli, Rain Lilly's and the Garlic went to a nurse at the Dialysis center This is not my pic, as I did not have one close up, I Tried to take a cutting and re-plant it down here, but it did not survive, I hope and Pray one day I can get one, or If I go up to Orlando soon, and see if they dug it up or if it is still there I can re-try

Here is the Bulb Bed and you can see How tall her Manda. got

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living