Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

Tissue Cultures aka hosta liners

franknjim
11 years ago

There are different opinions on buying tissue cultured hosta liners but I have to say that some of these grow like a weed. I started buying first year TCs in 2010. For having very difficult growing conditions, the majority of these TCs do very well. As we all know, I am Maple challenged. Many of the hosta that are being sold by the most respected retailers plus those "other places" are mostly second and third year TCs unless they say it is a mature division that you are buying. All of my TCs are coming from Q & Z, Walters and Shady Oaks so I don't have to worry about HVX coming with any of these liners. Some of what I am buying is just being released to the growers at the same time I get them before going on sale to the public the following year.

While most of them do great and are of considerable size and eye count on the third year with me, there are some which probably aren't the best bet. The normally slow growing hosta. Those will probably take a few more years and years. The biggest benefit to me in buying the liners is that I am saving a lot of money. I don't mind growing out a plant. For decades I would take a single four inch perennial and turn it into hundreds of plants. I really enjoy doing that so doing the same thing with hosta is right up my alley. I have been trying not to divide any hosta because I don't have the space but I always end up with tons of extras that sit around for years in pots until I finally give them away.

Many people need instant gratification that comes with buying a hosta in a pot that has tons of eyes. I also like that. You get an instant garden that way. I buy big hosta that way in addition to all of the TC liners. What I save with buying the TCs I can spend on the bigguns. It sounds good anyways! I did buy mature pots of two hosta that I already had TCs of. Montana Aureomarginata, it's a slow boat. Victory, I just decided that I want this one bigger a little faster.

Now I am buying TCd streakers. Eight for under $200.00. Four liners, three 2 1/4" pot and one 4" pot. A month ago I paid $50.00 for a one gallon pot of Savannah Supreme which was my most expensive hosta to date and a streaker.

These are some of the ones I bought as single eyed 1" liners in 2010. Some are still one eyed while others just grew like crazy.

Dance With Me

{{gwi:1003974}}

Masquerade

{{gwi:991849}}

Maui Buttercups

{{gwi:1003976}}

Lemon Frost

{{gwi:1003977}}

Hyuga Urajiro

{{gwi:1003978}}

Gemstone

{{gwi:1003980}}

Spartan Arrow

{{gwi:1003982}}

Corkscrew

{{gwi:1003983}}

Katie Q

{{gwi:1003984}}

American Icon

{{gwi:1003986}}

Comments (7)

• tepelus
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've bought many first year TC hostas and most have done really well. I started buying them in 2009. There are a few that I've had that are still a single eye and haven't grown much, or have grown to mature size and are still a single eye. A very few are struggling along and I'm tempted to put them out of their misery. I buy them because of the same reasons as you, they're cheap compared to a full grown plant which means I have more money for more hostas. I have patience to watch them grow and think it's kind of fun to see a baby grow into a nice big plant. But there are those too, depending on the situation, that I want a more mature plant and buy it that way. One of my favorite TC's I bought at the end of summer last year, which is still in a pot, is Awakening Angel. It was such a small plant, and being blue I thought it would take a long time to get to size. Well, it is doing quite well, a gorgeous blue color, and I can see it being a fast grower. I am surprised by how fast it has grown. Empress Wu, though, that one has grown in size the most out of all of the TC's I got last year. Yeah, it's going to get real big, real fast.

Karen

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Frank,

Where did you get your streaked tissue cultures? Which ones did you get?

Gesila

• franknjim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are coming from Q & Z through the BnP Co-op.

Dream Maker 4" pot
    Dorset Clown 2 1/4" pot
    Fired Up liner
    Justice liner
    Kaleidochrome liner
    Powder Keg 2 1/4" pot
    Sparkle 2 1/4" pot
    Wedding Night liner

Justice is the streaked form of Victory which is an edged form of Elatior. Giant streaker YAY!

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Nice list Frank. Is the BnP Co-op a club you belong to?

I'd love to stick some of those little ones in my hydro planter.

Gesila

• franknjim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I emailed you a link to the group.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I am growing streaked seedlings from seeds I got from people at the Hosta Seed Growers Forum. Some I bought. My plants are under 24 hrs light, sit in pots in low fertilized water, growing slowly since mid of January and later. I culled most of the green ones. I will have around 20 4 inch 'market ready' streaked plants in a month. I enjoy that a lot. One mail-order place sells those around $30 each, plus shipping.

How do you know that the named streaker plugs you bought will have the same leaf markings next years? People at the HSG forum notice changes every year. Streakers are inherently unstable and will develop finally into a non-streaked plant(s) in the future. Notice, I am learning.
    Bernd

• franknjim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As with most streakers, they have to be watched and dominant non-streaked parts have to be removed. Most streakers are sold after a year or two. That helps in making sure the plant isn't going to go straight to a solid color or variegation.

I will be using the streakers plus other hosta for hybridizing making my own crosses starting this year. This year it will be hit and miss due to the fact that I will have to wait for the blooms to get pollen and to pollinate. I will be collecting and storing pollen from everything I want to use so I won't have to only do crosses if the bloom times line up next year. Streakers will take some growing time measured in years before you will know if it is going to be somewhat stable or if it will change to a non-streaker the following year.

I built that big table in the basement just for growing hosta from seed. One cross that I am going to go for is to introduce streaking or variegation into Clovelly. I also wouldn't mind introducing some growth speed into GE, DQ, TB or even a montana. I have a few specific goals in mind but it is going to take some serious time. The growth rates of hosta is one thing that I am really interested in. Some hosta grow like weeds and I really like that. I want to see more hosta that grow fast.