Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_head_maisy

Newbie needing clarification and advice on which variety to plant

Daisy_head_maisy
10 years ago

Hi. I'm wanting to plant hydrangeas in front of this porch and am getting very conflicting info from nurseries and online.

Some say don't plant hydrangeas here at all - others say any variety will do well here and bloom like crazy all summer. Last night a lady said not to plant any hydrangea because they are earwig magnets.

I am wanting to have 4 or 5 span this raised bed (I'm in the process of making it). I want to have hostas in front of the hydrangeas with a tall conifer in the corner.

They need to be 4-5 feet tall.

I want them to kind of grow together and bloom like crazy without drooping. I'm wanting them to leaf out early so we don't have the dead stick look in the spring (I was looking at putting rose of sharon there but they leaf out too late)

I'm bringing in my own soil and amendments so I don't think that is a factor?

It gets morning sun until about noon then shade.

The varieties I've narrowed it down to after researching are

Endless Summer (my favorite look wise)
Incrediball
Little Lime
Annabelle
Pinky Winky

I think Endless Summer is the prettiest of those on my list but the reviews are so mixed one of the others would be a safer bet? I prefer the round flower look vs the long pannicle look but want what will bloom the most and be the healthiest here.

Thanks so much for your help - I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out and am so confused!

This post was edited by daisy_head_maisy on Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:34

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Hello, daisy_head_maisy. Technically, all those are Zone 6 hardy but I hear you. Many folks have reported blooming problems with ES in very cold weather zones. I think I would still try it if I was in your shoes but, if you are concerned, review some of the Forever & Ever Series (mophead) Hydrangeas to see if any of those that grows in your zone gets your sign of approval:

http://foreverandeverplants.com/Index.aspx/GardenFavorites/Hydrangeas

Did you know? Incrediblall and Annabelle are basically the same plant. Incrediball's claim to fame is bloom size and stems sturdier than the "standard Annabelle". I thought I would point that out in case you were trying to get hydrangeas that were "more" different. They should both be very hardy but Annabelle's blooms may flop more if weighed down by rain. I have one in a protected place where this is not too much of a problem.

Paniculatas are probably amongst the best and hardiest of the bunch but some get quite large so one has to keep size in mind or you will beed to prune them often. If you plant them away from any walkways, this may not be an issue. Check some new ones like Bobo and Bombshell too.

From a design and landscaping point of view, I have not tried planting different hydrangea varieties together side by side before, because I felt that the different blooms kind of needed to be separated by different plantings. Ego45 is very good at this sort of question. I hope he chimes in to add his opinion as one thing I would point out is that, in that section where all these shrubs would go, you would end up with no "green-ery" in front of the house during the winter months; I try to plant evergreens so things are not too bare during those months.

This post was edited by luis_pr on Mon, May 6, 13 at 3:16

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

Yes, if this is the front of your home I would do some dwarf conifers or a small broadleaved evergreen to ensure all season greenery and then a row of hydrangeas in front of those in a stadium effect. Winter can be depressing enough without the front of your home being bare.

• Daisy_head_maisy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback! I went hydrangea shopping again this morning and I couldn't even find anyone to help me so I really value the feedback you guys provided.

I love the idea of evergreens as a backdrop - I'll have to do some research and find what will be narrow enough to work for that.

For the Hydrangeas - I'm thinking I want just one variety and have them grow together kind of like a hedge.

I have hit every store in the area and the only varieties that are still available locally are:

Endless Summer
    Limelight
    Pinky Winky
    and
    Annabelle

I think Endless Summer is the prettiest but I'm really worried about it actually blooming from posts I've read here.

I'll check out the ones you recommended. If none of these will work I may have to resort to mailorder.

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

*WARNING* - If you want any kind of decent performance from any hydrangea, you want the dead stick look in early Spring, 'til almost mid-May. If hydrangeas leaf out too early, they can be heavily damaged by late frosts.

Otherwise...

ES should do fine in zone 6. However, buy the largest pot size you can afford. A one-gallon size will take years to get decent above-ground growth established...

David Ramsey is a cheaper alternative to ES.

Penny Mac is also a cheaper altnernative. I'm currently growing a PM next to ES to see which gets larger faster.

Nikko Blue should also do well in zone 6; This is because it grows very fast, making lots of large, tall canes with heavy bud production. So, keeping a "trim" one of these in zone 6 shouldn't be that difficult. I just got my first batch on clearance last year and they are sending up new growth with flower buds from the crown!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

"For the Hydrangeas - I'm thinking I want just one variety and have them grow together kind of like a hedge. "

Absolutely do just one variety!