Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redchickn

Stopping voles with buried hardware cloth -- how high?

redchickn
14 years ago

Hi everyone. New to Garden Web, although I've been checking the site for gardening tips and advice since starting my first veggie garden three years ago. Last summer, after the loss of our two outdoor cats, our property was overrun by voles. Before I start planting this year's crop I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with burying hardware cloth around raised beds?

I've found quite a bit of information here and through various extension service websites, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on how high the hardware cloth needs to stick out of the ground. I have two raised beds, each 12Lx6Wx10H. I am thinking of burying the wire 12" deep along the outside of the beds and just stapling it to the wooden sides, but am wondering if anyone has tried this and whether the voles have bothered to climb up and over the sides? Also read about folding the wire out in an "L," but does doing that at ground level provide enough of a deterrent or do I really need to have the wire stick 12-18" out of the ground?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions -- I'm looking forward to being able to grow beets and radishes again!

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Putting a barrier of hardware cloth is a good idea if you have problems with tunnelers and in a backwwards "L" 1 foot deep and 1 foot out can also help some, but voles (field mice) will also come into a garden on the surface and then tunnel down if the want to. Some people have had fairly good success running the barrier up about 2 feet above the soil level, while I have seen these wee buggers climb that high with no problem, just like squirrels will.
    The one good things is, like everybody else, voles often will not spend a lot of time and energy trying for food so the more difficult you makes things for them the less apt they will be to try to overcome those barriers as long as a food source is more readily avialable.

• redchickn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, kimmsr. Kind of figured there was no magic solution. Just today found a local feral cat rescue organization looking for homes for barn cats, so we'll try the buried wire coupled with a pair of cats if we can. The above soil level bit seems awkward to me without bothering with a whole fence. May start and ground level with the "L" and graduate from there. Sure the deer will find us soon enough and we'll need to take the next step!

• nygardener
    14 years ago

They've tunneled under the ¼"-inch mesh hardware cloth I buried 6" deep. They've also bitten through the mesh in numerous places.

I'm thinking of digging an 18" trench to install a new fence of heavy-duty mesh. If I bury it that deep, do you think I'll need to form an "L" at the bottom as well ... or will they never try to dig 18 inches down?

kimmsr, have you really seen voles climb a hardware cloth fence that extends 2 feet above soil level? What kind of configuration would absolutely exclude them? I'm sick and tired of the damage they do to my garden.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

I have seen voles, and many other rodents, climb many things to reach a food source. As a rule they will not expose themselves to potential predators unnecessarily, but they will also take extraordinary chances if food is scarce.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath