Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Annabelle growing conditions

Lalala (zone 6b)
15 years ago

Hi,

How do you think Annabelle will do along a fence in a spot that gets sun from about 11 am -2 pm? I'm zone 6, Boston suburbs. Also, does it really get 6' wide, as I have read? Can you control spread by pruning, or should I just go with a more compact variety if I want something more in the 3-4' size? (Height is not an issue, but I don't want it spilling too far out from the fence.)

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

I have seen it get that big/wide (6 feet wide and more) at 10 years or more but I would prefer that someone closer to you answered the question because my winters are mild and the plants tend to get bigger here. You can also visit a local nursery that sells hydrangeas called Nantucket Hydrangeas in Nantucket MA. Of course, you can always prune it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 years ago

The spot should be fine, as long as the soil isn't dry.

Annabelle will get that wide over time, it isn't really a small specimen plant. Height is easily controlled by pruning (prune hard to get larger flower heads and shorter bush), but the bush spreads outward from the center by sending up new shoots/suckers.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. I think I'll try something more compact for that spot, and see if I can find another place to try the Annabelle.

• bug_girl
    15 years ago

I have one that is growing in a more compacted location, but the new one I added, I put in the wrong place. It is too close to an Asian Magnolia, and now I want to give it away or get rid of it. It's too big for me to dig up by myself, and even if I did I have some place to transplant it, but the soil is not prepared. They get really big fast. At least in my case. So, if you can come and take away a big Hydrangea Annabelle, it's free. I live in San Francisco. I will actually post this in exchange also, but just to show you, the photo is not as big as it is now. It got much wider.

• ostrich
    15 years ago

bug girl, how do you get your Annabelle to be so upright? I LOVE IT! Mine is just droopy.... LOL

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 years ago

If you want sturdy stems on Annabelle, you have to prune back HARD - prune all stems in the spring down to ~6-12". Stems will be sturdier, and flower heads will be larger if pruned hard.

• trish1947
    15 years ago

I was given an Annabelle Hydrangea and am having a hard time deciding where to plant it. We live in NW Ontario and are on the edge of zones 2 and 3. The north side of the house has no planting area, the east gets sun from about 5am to 4pm with no shade at all. The south side is similar, full sun and no shade. The west side has a large grouping of cedar trees which partially covers a garden. It gets late afternoon and evening sun. The only other place which I have considered is a small side yard which gets dappled sun most of the day but if planted there, the hydrangea would have little protection in winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Trish

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

I am in zone 5 outside Chicago. Would think Ontario would have similar miserable weather!!

I plant mine on the south east where they get mostly eastern exposure and the south sun from the side. They back to a deck.

I prune hard in the fall (1 foot tall canes). Mine spread wide and are always sending up new shoots from the bottom. I find it a bit of maintenance to control it. But they bloom HUGE!!!

• jemboysch
    15 years ago

Dgmarie:
    Do you ever have any luck plucking up some of the spreading new shoots and replanting it? I tried it late in the spring but I guess I didn't have enough roots. I'm going to try again next spring, maybe a little earlier and give the babies a little more TLC.

• Vicki
    15 years ago

I'm not Dgmarie but, yes. I have done that with my mom's hydrangea in the spring. Get a good root system with it. I had no problems doing it.

• parmore
    15 years ago

I have two plants in their second season that are doing extremely well and I appreciate the pruning information to keep them more upright. Since I'm new to growing them, can you tell me why the flowers blossom and stay green later in the season rather than white? I thought it was just mine last fall but saw all the other bushes in our neighborhood were the same.

• hammybee
    15 years ago

I was driving though Elk Grove Village ( outside Chicago) the other day and was again stunned how pretty the street islands are planted. I also noticed again that their Annabell masses are upright, with enormous flowers and the whole deal is only about knee high. How do they do this?

I think I am going to call the Village and find the person who knows.

I have 12 Annabelles and each one looks different, despite the same annual care and placement. Three of them splay open and flop from the center, even when dry.