Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvahydrangea

Hydrangea Serrata 'Blue Bird' & Full Sun?

luvahydrangea
18 years ago

Hi, I just got a Blue Bird on clearance for $10. I'm so excited!

When I was down on the Jersey shore this summer, I noticed most of the landscaping on the beachhouses, had their hydrangeas, blue birds included, in full sun and they were the most gorgeous hydrangeas I've ever seen. Now I know for a fact they're at least a zone higher than we are here on Long Island .

Anyway, I *really* want to plant this beauty in the front of my house. My house faces west, so it gets shade in the morning, and blazing hot sun between 1 to about 5 or 6 pm.

So, I'm googling all I can about the 'blue bird' and I'm getting a lot of full sun to partial sun to partial shade.

????

What do you think? Have you ever planted one in full afternoon sun and had success? Or failure? What do you think, would you risk it? What's the worst that can happen? I can always dig it up and move it I suppose. I just don't want to hurt it.

Thanks for reading!

Comments (16)

• ego45
    18 years ago

As all other hydrangeas it will take afternoon sun with adequate watering, mid-day drip irrigation prefered and you could keep it well alive on such IV for many years.
    However, one thing will be out of your control in such position, flowers.
    They'll generally last not as long as they would be in a same amount of a morning sun and I'm not sure you'll like the look of the brown crispy sterile flowers edges.

• luvahydrangea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gosh, you make it sound like it will be on life-support, LOL!

Thanks for the input, makes me think I should rethink where I'm going to plant it. I'll make room for it someplace else.

Thanks again!

• HollyT
    18 years ago

I have one in afternoon sun, altho not in front of a house. Does just fine. I suggest putting the water absorbing crystals (Water Grabber, HydroSorb, etc.) in the soil when you plant it.

• luvahydrangea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Holly. I decided to try it out in full-sun after all. Yesterday was its first full day, and it was a hot one! The leaves remained perky all day and it actually seems happy there. I'll try gettting some of those crystals if I find keeping it moist becomes a challange. Thanks for the response!

• auntpeach
    18 years ago

Hi Luvahydrangea in Long Island. My experience with Blue Bird has been pretty interesting. Bought one very healthy specimen from a local nursery. Blooms were blue, no argument there! Then saw some at Home Depot, so bought three. Planted all 4 along with some other hydrangeas, ferns, astilbes and hostas in a morning-sun-til-2pm area, then our 90 degrees and drought spell hit. The BB from the nursery fared well, didn't need nearly as much watering (but I kept a close eye on it anyway). The BBs from Home Depot, which came planted in a much different type of soil, needed watering every day, else they'd droop and brown out. Last year, I had the same experience with some Pieris Japonica (2 from a nursery and 2 from HD in some strange soil). Again, had to water the HD plants twice as often. Almost lost one until I dug it up and got rid of as much of the original potting soil as I could -- messy, but I saved it. I've wanted to mention this on a forum for a while now, just so no one else loses a plant because of its potting soil. Just a caution -- before you plant, check the soil and if it appears like it might be hard to re-hydrate once it dries out, replace it with your own mix. Maybe they use a lot of peat moss, I don't know. Anyway, wanted to let you know how mine did. The flowers were really nice, and they're still there, but more green than the blue that they were at first. Aunt Peach in Elgin, Ill.

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

Luvahydrangea - I am also on Long Island (Hi neighbor) and just got a bluebird this year. Mine is in half day sun and half day shade. And it's new, so I can't give you any advise -- but I don't think you will have a major problem. I've seen hydrangeas growing on Long Island in full sun and shade and they seem fine where they were. I think the key is water.

Also, Auntpeach hit on an intersting topic. I just bought a Sweet Chris hydrangea from HD -- and I am getting rid of all the soil in the container. I don't know what they used but it dries out extremely fast and does not look like good quality. I think that may have a lot to do with whether or not they "droop".

So, tell me where did you get your hydrangea for 10.00? I live in the Babylon area, where are you?

Maureen

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

You did see the picture of Blue Bird on the gallery, right? (see link below) It is beautiful. I came across 3 at a local nursery this spring that were on clearance for $3.50 (I am pretty sure they were stock that had been sitting around all winter). I planted them on the north side of my house and they are doing wonderful. I got a handful of blooms and a lot of new growth.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery Thread with Pictures

• luvahydrangea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maureen, hi to you too neighbor! I got mine at a nursery called Rosewood on Horseblock road in Farmingville. I live out in Medford, and they are one of my favorite nurseries in the area. Although it seems Brent got a *really* great deal on his at only $3.50.

Brent, those blue birds are gorgeous! How much would you say yours grew in one season? I'm wondering now how long I will have to wait to have mine look like that! Any pictures of yours to share?

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

I will try to take a picture and post it next week. They came in 1 gallon pots. Most all of the top growth had been cut back and they were just starting to show signs of life when I purchased them. I would have to guess that the largest of the three is now 16" x 16". I was actually surprised that they bloomed at all. I planted them way too close together figuring that I would move two of them next spring when I expanded the bed.

- Brent

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Aunt Peach,

Very interesting observation about the soil. Hayseedman is experimenting with the ultimate soil mix and I just read on his thread that he always bareroots his plants. Oddly enough, until I read this thread and his, it would never have occurred to me to disgard the original soil as I always thought it must be better than my mine, but from now on, I will make sure I do NOT use it. Who needs to start with a disadvantage right off the bat?.....yg

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

I said that I would post a picture of my hydrangeas. The first picture shows what you get for $3.50.

Here they are 4 months later. Not huge, but doing well. This picture is a month old. I just measured the largest one at it is 16" high and 24" across.

- Brent

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

HI neighbor, I purchased 2 'BlueBird's from Agway in Hicksville this summer around July 4th. Mine were in 7 gallon containers and were placed in a western exposure in my backyard. Initially the one in more direct sun in the PM had to have several buckets of water applied to it so it wouldn't wilt in the heat. The other one gets some shade from a magnolia near it. With the rain we have had so far here this past week (5") they both seem happy.

• luvahydrangea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jazzmom, I noticed mine is super perky after all this rain we've been getting. Since planting it, I've also put a young yoshino cherry nearby, which seems to provide very light, filtered shade (its barely more than a twig). I hope I can leave it where it is. Its near my front walk so I'll get to see it everytime I leave or enter the house when its in bloom.

• hayseedman
    18 years ago

I become more and more convinced that you should essentially bare root any plant that you get in a potting mix for just the reasons you are all suggesting. And don't be trying to "improve" the soil. I think this is in line with the current thinking. You don't want to "improve" the soil with peat and the like for pretty much the same reason you want to get rid of the soil the plant came in. In both cases, you end up with two soils. One right around the plant and the native soil around all that. Spells trouble.

Hay.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    17 years ago

Here it is one year later and the 2 Bluebird's I have planted have done well over the winter and early spring. I had minimal pruning of dead stems out of each of them. I waited till they leafed out before doing any pruning to see what was dead and what was alive. Both plants had numerous blooms on them as compared to last year's handful on each plant. The blooms opened to blue blossoms and with the unexpected heat I expected them to be flagging (wilting of leaves) but the symptoms were minimal to the one with more PM sun. A bucket of water helped it recover. E mail me for pictures if interested. Add @AOL.com to the user name please.

• luvahydrangea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jazzmom, I ended up moving mine and put it between a trio of pitch pines and it does seem happier. Its soooo tiny!!! It looks like I had a lot of die back over the winter, probably didn't have enough protection from wind and elements where it was in front of my house, but to my surprise it has blooms! Very small, but they are there. I'd love to see pictures of yours, I'll email you for them.