Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Douglas Iris in Desert Heat & Sun

bearstate
16 years ago

I took a chance and ordered 12 4" pots of Douglas Iris from an Oregon grower and put them in here in Bakersfield, CA. Bakersfield has extreme temperature shifts. Temps reach the 90s on average from Spring through late Summer, dipping down to the 60s at night. In winter, we can get hard freezes like the one this past January, but otherwise hover between 30s and 40s, often with fog.

Of the 12 Iris I ordered, 5 have survived since spring and appear even to be putting up new blades, but thus far, no flowers. I have 2 of the survivors in full sun and the others are in shade. They get watered by the lawn sprinkler system every night.

What are their chances of continued survival here in BKF and what can I do to help them out to the point of maturing, flowering and spreading?

Comments (8)

• randy_ca
    16 years ago

I don't know much about them, but as far as I know, the southern range of i. douglasiana
    extends to an area north of Santa Barbara which is coastal.
    I think the chances are slim, you being so far inland.
    To me, Bakersfield and the San Joaquin Valley seems no different than the Mojave Desert.

I'm surprised they've survived this long with some of the heat spells we've had.
    The sprinkler system must be helping, because I know I start cooking by 10am in Bakersfield.

I'm looking for a source for Douglas Iris for someone that wants to try them here in Southern California, so if you could pass that info on, I'd appreciate it. thanks.

I was going to check with All Things Iris & The Iris Gallery in Ft Bragg.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm figuring that the survivors, actually 6, not 5, will be stronger and hardier and will continue to survive, now that the worst of Summer is over. It may be that the weeker individuals are the ones that perished and what's left may have what it takes to get a foothold here. Winter is no problem for them as Iris like Douglasiana are at home in Wintery climes. So with September just a couple weeks away, I think these 6 have made the grade.

I got Douglas Iris from Wallace W. Hansen, Salem Oregon.

Web: www.nwpalnts.com

Hansen specializes in Native Species. I think you'll find what they offer of interest.

Thompson/Morgan has seed for Pacific Hybrids, if you are interested.

• sparxiris
    16 years ago

May I assume that you mean pacific coast HYBRIDS, rather than I. douglassiana the species?
    Cold and mild frost are not a problem. Hot dry conditions are not too much of a problem, but you should be growing these in at least semi shade.
    You are most likely to lose them from rot because of your watering practice. Avoid creating a humid environment around them. Only water in the cool of the morning, when the leaves and rhizomes can dry out fairly quickly. watering at nights allows the water to sit and will very likely lead to rot. You may have already done the damage.
    PCH's are very drought tolerant. I grow them here in Australia, where we have just come out of a long period of drought, and I did not water mine at all. The only water they have had in the last 12 months is from the sky. My losses were minimal with established clumps. I did however lose a lot of seedlings that had been moved last June and had insufficient water to establish a good root system.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddly enough, one of the best survivors lives in a pool of water every morning ...

{{gwi:1036287}}

That guy is shaded by a pepper tree.

The 2nd best survivor gets fairly wet ground too, but lives in direct sun light all day ...

{{gwi:1036288}}

And it strikes me that in the wild, conditions are usually very wet for Douglas Iris, living as they do, in more Wintery climate zones. The Frazier River Valley in Canada may get dry in summer, but Oregon? Hey, they get so much rain that it's a wonder they don't wash away. And all along the coastal range of I. Douglasiana, fog and wetness from dew point condensation.

I'm not sure that these guys are as susceptible to root rot as you might think.

Remember that these are Wild Iris ... not cultivars or hybrids. They've adapted to wet conditions all through their range.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops!

Just noticed a mis-spelling in Hansen's Web Site above.

It's www.nwplants.com

I figure you figured the mis-spell out, but just in case, this follow-up should clear up the confusion.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I think you might have a bit of a misconception on the native growing conditions of these plants. A good portion of the native range of this plant experiences very dry summers (it is a recurring summer drought area) and excessive summer moisture is NOT recommended. Fog and/or high dew point do not equal daily irrigation. I grow an extensive assortment of Pacific coast native irises - I. tenax, innominata, douglasiana and many PC hybrids and they all share the same cultural requirements - sun to light shade, well-drained soil and moderate to scant water during the summer months. The varieties I sell at my nursery receive minimal watering (only when very dry) and these are in containers, not in-ground plantings. Sunset Western Garden Book cautions "intense heat coupled with water and poor drainage can be fatal". Rot from excessive watering is most definitely a concern.

If they survive, flowering could be expected in a season or two. IME, all the west coast native irises need time to settle and establish well before producing blooms. Your few little fans are barely hanging in and are a long way from being well established.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

I'll see if I can relocate them to some place more dry in Summer. I had really thought they'd look good where I put them, but I understand that we can't always get what we want.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea!!!! Cooler Temperatures at last and five of my original twelve Douglasiana have survived the Summer!

I haven't relocated them at all yet and they seem to be fine, even putting up a new group of shoots on one or two of them.

Dig down those roots deep! They have the whole of Autumn and Winter to get better established now.

Sponsored