Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Here's a 'Sagae' and 'Krossa Regal' for ya...

donrawson
9 years ago

Hosta 'Sagae' (92 inches across) and 'Krossa Regal' (86 inches across)

Comments (25)

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I'm in trouble........

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Wow!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I say wow . . . Wow and W-O-W!!!!!!

Thanks for showing us their growing potential!

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Holy cow what are you feeding those things?!?! Show us more! Wow!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

WOW!!! You really grow them big up there! I have both of those plants...tiny little things right now and I can't wait until the grow up.

Thanks for the beautiful picture!

Linda

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

As always gorgeous!!

• playinmud
    9 years ago

I think I'm going to need more property! Those are absolutely amazing.

• w3csx
    9 years ago

Wow! I have to ask. How long have they been in the ground?

• dg
    9 years ago

Ruh-roh, I have to agree with Leafwatcher, I'm in trouble :-0

Beautiful, Don.
    I'm still curious about how tall they are... about 42"?

• uk-hostaman
    9 years ago

Great photo!... What's the name of the hosta in the bottom corner of the right hand side of the picture?

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

that is just disgusting

is that where you grind up the daughter's old boyfriends?

cool â¦.

dave

• irawon
    9 years ago

Absolutely amazing specimens, Don. How old are the hostas?

• splitrock
    9 years ago

I have a few much smaller Krossa Regal which are currently in pots, due to a vole problem. I will be planting them in the ground in September. I have read that they like a good bit of sun. Could you tell us the amount and kind of sun yours is getting? Do you fertilize? Thanks

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Well,My Sagae is big,but nothing like that! You must have some sort of fertilizer that you use,because I never fertilize mine,and it still grows big! Phil

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Well,My Sagae may not be that big,but here's a pic of mine,showing leaf size. Phil

{{gwi:959822}}

• donrawson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sometimes I never get around to fertilizing them. This year I applied a little 10-10-10 around the perimeter in early spring. But I think the secret to their large growth is the very good soil (18-24 inches deep) and the overhead watering along with growing them in full sun...and the avoidance of tree root competition.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Wow! You live in the land of the giants!!!

DD

• User
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that hosta in lower right corner of picture might be Goodness Gracious? It could be one of those, based on what mine looks like in its 3d growing season.

I hope I live to see my hosta get that big. Somehow, if they want to show out like that, I'm gonna find a way to let them. It might take some cattle watering tanks, digging a nice well to afford the water, but by golly I'm going for it! Scary, but why not let Sagae and Victory and Yellow Emperor do their utmost to see what size hosta this area can grow.

I haven't really fertilized my hosta. When I found out Osmocote was not so useful here on hosta, I pretty much gave up all but some liquid fert in a hose dispenser-- once I did that. I used caution about making them grow quicker than I was ready to deal with. Guess now I'll see if DH (whose veggie bed is winding down for the summer) is interested in a 2nd job, spray fertilizing the hosta.

I'll have to be careful though or he might update his "density calculation." hehehehe

• donrawson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hosta on the lower right hand side is 'Summer Loviin'.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Don, I've been enjoying all your plant picture posts, makes me remember what mine are suppose to look like. Truly wonderful plants!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Holy crap!!! I might be in trouble also in years to come.......some trees might have to go to make room for hostas!!!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

These are really beautiful super large specimens, congratulation!
    Soil and water are so important. I have one 'Sagae' growing very well, another one is in trouble with neighbors growing very nice, must be the local soil...
    Bernd

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

That thud you heard? That was me, fainting.

I'm gonna need a bigger yard....

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

96" x (qty.) 20 / 12" to a foot = 153 feet = OMG, what have I done?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

LOL! Why, you've unleashed the wrath of SAGAE, haven't you? LOL!
    No worries, they will be your hosta sentry! ;-)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County