Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Butthead neighbor at it again

kimka
13 years ago

Talk about having the neighbor from hell: Friday brought a new adventure in how Adam, my butthead neighborhead, thinks his family is the center of the universe.

I was watching a new redbellied woodpecker that has started coming to my birdfeeder, when I noticed Adam digging a hole to plant something with his kids running around his yard gathering rocks to provide a border around the hole.

He soon went inside and the kids, after finding four or five rocks in his yard, decided going through my garden and taking stones from it was quicker than finding stones that hadn't already been dug up on their own property. They did it futively enough that it was clear they knew they were coming onto my property and it was not ok.

I opened the sliding glass door and yelled down to the kids to please stay out of my garden. Two left, the third kept poking a stick into the ground looking to hit a rock, since they gotten most of the rest already. I yelled down again "Hon, that's still my garden, please stay out." Not to mention the foxglove seedlings they had stood on and the peony just popping up next to their feet.

All three kids ran off for three or four minutes before they trooped into their house. That's when the fun began.

Adam came roaring out of his house up the driveway and pounded on my front door. When I answered, he starts screaming that "Making his 8-year-old cry was way past what he was going to stand for and the next time I did it, he was going call the police on me!!!!!"

I can't help it, I laughed in his face and told him he could use my phone to call the police if I could listen to their response.

Can you just imagine "Montgomery County police, how can I help you?

"I want you to arrest my next door neighbor."

"Sir, what is she doing?"

"She's yelling at my children for being in her garden."

The last thing I said to him was that if he didn't direct his children's behavior, other people have to do it."

But of course, he thinks his children are entitled to go whereever they like, take whatever they want and damage other's people property because their stuff is all that matters.

Of course, leaving your 8-year-old outside without adult supervision might be worth taping and reporting to Child Services too.

I remember the one time I did something similar to what these kids did, my mother marched my tail back to the woman's house to apologize for running through her garden and snatching a couple of flowers. That lady was the one who gave me my first gardening lessons.

I expect to see the police arrive one day, but I bet it will be to arrest one of these kids for vandalizing some one else's property.

Comments (7)

• dawnstorm
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The fun never stops with these jokers does it?
    We may have to have to current homeowner for permission to take a cutting, but there is this property on my mother's street that has this nasty hedge. It's about 4-5 feet high, has half inch to inch long thorns, and ugly dark yellow flowers that bloom around mid-late spring. Those flowers stink to high heaven and attract bees the way an accident attracts sleazy tort lawyers. I had the misfortune to have to walk past this thing on my way to school back in the 1970s and while the hedge has been battered by storms over the years, the memory of it remains. If you could get one of those shrubs and use it as a fence....bwaahaaaahaaaa!!

• kimka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn, you and I are thinking right along the same track. Only I was figuring on establishing a hedge of wild raspberry canes, which of course will spread all over their property too--almost as bad as bamboo.

• eibren
    12 years ago

My next door neighbor decided she was allergic to roses and incited one of her offspring to murder my climbing Queen Elizabeth rose. She took advantage when I was recovering from a hip replacement and had been unable to get out to train it properly. Six years of preparatory growth down the drain. I am convinced her "allergies" are mainly due to tree pollens out about the same time, especially from her own oak tree, which is dying a slow death from some sort of fungus disease. Our house will be in its path when it finally falls down, as one across the street did a few years ago.

I also had planted a nice flowering shrub to screen the area where we set out our trash. She planted a group of cheap nonflowering shrubs parallel to it, one so close to the one I planted that its roots invaded the area I had added soil amendments to--all of the other shrubs she planted, except for the one invading my shrub's root area, died. Now she has replaced that with a yew which will shade out the lower branches of a pine tree she claims she wants to remain, and which will almost certainly kill my origional shrub if I take no protective action.

At least the shrubs at the back of my property are finally high enough to hide the hideous chain link fence the neighbor back there installed (in place of a stand of forsythia planted origionally to shade his bank, caused by the slight elevation between our properties) so he wouldn't have to walk his dog/s. This is the same one that ripped out the most beautiful althea shrub in the neighborhood to put his shed in, directly at the edge of his chain link fence. He also chopped off all of the branches on my Allegheny viburnums facing hs chain link fence, although I had explained that its growth pattern would not be a threat to the fence. He was harboring a group of seedling maples under the high tension wires, and felt that this should be OK, since I had the Alleghenies. I don't think he believed me when I informed him they only grow to about eighteen feet. Their branches grow at strangely ugly angles after being carelessly pruned, so he will pay for his arrogance. The branches he had clipped off would have shaded his bare bank and lessened weed growth. He also ripped out some yews I had planted on the bank with the previous owner's permission to prevent weeds--they had grown to a size that would have made them useful for planting elsewhere, but he didn't bother to consult me regarding their disposition, either, although he was aware I had planted them there. I also suspect him of using herbicide every spring, although he denies doing so, because I have seen him out with a sprayer. I have noticed I become ill each spring whenever I small the herbicide, and have asked him to alert me to when he uses it so I can close my windows, but of course that doesn't happen, because he would rather just deny the obvious.

Most of my neighbors are pleasant, but there are always a few who have no understanding of gardening and create ugliness wherever they go.

• ruka5
    12 years ago

Can you put a pretty fence around your garden? Your garden is a beautiful space that should be pleasantly enjoyed by you without negativity from others who have no concept of such things.

• kimka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wish I could put a fence up that would keep his rugrats out of my garden. But we share a driveway easement so they could just walk up the driveway a few feet and have access.

Yesterday they were going for a walk from their backyard and instead of using the trail, they stomped right through my garden through the stand of sharp lobed hepatica that I am trying to establish. I was up on my deck and saw them out of the corner of my eye as I heard butthead the father say, "now girls you know you aren't supposed to go that way."

I went out that afternoon and transplanted the first two of what will be many wineberry (wild raspberry) plants between our yards. At least that will keep them from cutting through.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I'd make a hedge of barberry bushes. Plant them close so they'll fill in quick. Can you install a fence to enclose your back yard in at least? You shouldn't have to go to that expense. Do any of the other neighbors have the same problems with this neighbor? What about putting NO TREASPASSING signs? Do you have a movie camera? Or does your digital camera take movies. Document every little detail or confrontation with the Father. Does the Mother ever confront you. Seems to always be the Father.

• manure_queen
    12 years ago

Kim let me kow if you are interested in an upright hardy cactus the requires a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves inside a pair of leather work gloves for handling. It is hardy
    MAry
    mgardosiksterrett
    atverizondotnet

Sponsored