Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kurtg_gw

any father's day plant sales?

kurtg
16 years ago

I was asked what I wanted to do on Sunday and I'd like to pick up a few things for the house. Actually, there are couple of other things I'd like to do: put our boat in the water or take the boys on a hike somewhere, but I broke a bone in my foot and launching the boat or hiking might be too dificult.

We bought the current place last year and put a lot of stuff in already, but could use an english laurel, leatherleaf viburnum, or american holly, sedge or hakone grass, other ornamental grass, liriope, iris, shasta daisies, 1 or 2 older type shrub roses, and always more ivy or pachysandra to fit in with what we've done and future plans.

The better the prices, the more I can load the van. We're now in AA county and have been to Homestead Gardens or Behnkes in Beltsville(used to live nearby). The box stores only have the liriope and ground covers mentioned above.

Thanks-

Comments (7)

• watergal
    16 years ago

Try Meadows Farms - they have good prices and a decent selection. Lots of locations - check the web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meadows Farms web site

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

If you're looking for solid green liriope, don't buy any, come get some at my house in Bowie!!

Have you been to Collins' greenhouse on Old Rt. 450 (just over the bridge from 197)?? They have more annuals than perennials, but they have a nice selection and the prices aren't bad.

Also, there is a farmstand/plantstand at the corner of Routes 450 and 424 in Davidsonville that has great veggies and lots of plants to choose from.

And I haven't been there YET but there is a greenhouse/barn/farmstand just west of I-97's exit 12/New Cut Road in Millersville/GlenBurnie, I'm not sure exactly which town it's in.

• kurtg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks-Sounds like wife wants to go to Behnkes. Prob will take the boys to IKEA for meatballs too. If we don't pick up anything, will run by meadows farm and homestead on the way home.

We are now out in AA county near the end of 214 when it hits the water. We used to be across the street from IKEA in Collge Park (behind the Ag library).

• watergal
    16 years ago

I'm jealous. Behnke's is my absolute most favorite nursery in the world, but it's a good hour or more away, so I only go once a year or so. Usually in the winter for a houseplant fix.

• kurtg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well-Behnkes was so horribly overpriced this go around that we didn't pick anything up there. Took the boys to IKEA for meatballs and icecream and looked around there a bit.

I ordered some plants on the net today. Including shipping, I was able to order gallon size pots for 1/2 the price Behnke wanted for 3.5" pots of the same plants (grasses and perenial flowers).

I know it is hot for shipping, but I figured is was worth the chance and if they don't look good, I'm buying seed. I couldn't believe $20 for many of the 3.5 pots.

• watergal
    16 years ago

They were charging $20 for 3.5" pots?? That is nuts, unless they were some rare new cultivar or something.

They are pricey in general, and I usually focus on the houseplants; I had no idea their outdoor stuff was that much!

• kurtg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, and that was only for some Shasta daiseys, lol. We looked at a few other perrenials, can't recall what now, and they were priced the same way ($18+ for 3.5" pots).

Sponsored