Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennaj_z4mn

Let's see your sports!!!

jennaj_z4mn
13 years ago

Here is one of mine--it is from Rainforest Sunrise--this is the second year that it came back, so I divided it off. When doing so, I only was left with 1 small root. I have it in water to grow more. Just my dumb blonde luck--I do have hopes for it though!

Do you have any sports to share?

Comments (16)

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here is my Francee sport,I am calling Francee Half-Stripe. It is not separated from the main plant yet. I'm letting it grow on until next year. All the wide white parts come from the same eye,but it is not on the outside of the plant,so I'll have to dig up the whole plant to separate it from the main plant. It is growing well,so I don't want to disturb it right now. Phil

{{gwi:926159}}

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Jenna, that sport does show promise, just not the way it is now. Your goal would be to isolate a white centered sport of Rainforest Sunrise which is a strong possibility from this plant. If a new bud/eye develops between those two half white centered leaves then that new eye should be totally white centered. Eventually you would want to separate the future white centered eye to get a stable new plant. Now it is just time to wait for that to happen. Hopefully this new division will survive and multiply at this point in time.

Part of the goal when sport fishing is to watch for plants that will have stable variegation that can give you a plant which will survive and multiply on its own once separated from the mother plant. Random streaks and splashes can be cool, but they aren't all that stable in the long run.
    Good luck!

Chris

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Nice ones jennaj and Phil. Fun topic.
    Here are a couple I picked up last year. I wasn't intentionally sport fishing but liked the looks of them,
    The first is a sport of 'Orange Marmalade' which I guess is fairly common.

The second plant was unstable and streaked when I got it from the nursery and this year it's settling into a bunch of different things. The finely streaked foliage around it are other seedlings but the rest is from 'Striptease'. I know there are over forty sports of 'Striptease' but wondered if anyone knew whether there is a sport that looks like the last leaf pic?

Dan

• aahostas
    13 years ago

Dan,
    The first leaf after the Striptease plant is H. "Silver Eagle'.

Denny

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Right now I have an all-yellow eye on a Titanic. Since Titanic is a sport of Sum & Substance, this yellow eye of Titanic might become S&S after separation. My two S&S have no sports, so this is new to me. I have a Vim & Vigor, also a sport of S&S, but this V&V has no sport.

I have 3 Francee which only have small white margins of relatively constant width all around the leaves. Since the Francee by a poster shows irregular white widths on all leaves, being not an expert, probably that irregularity could be an indication of instablility, possibly more sports in the future.

I had a small Eskimo Pie, which probably was a recently potted TC. This spring it showed a nice Eskimo Pie appropriate leave which then died off. I potted that plant, it now develops all- green leaves. The lineage of Eskimo Pie via (sport of) Northern Exposure goes to (sport of) sieboldiana 'Elegans', which means I might be getting another Elegans, this as a sport after the original eye died off.

Bernd

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Thanks Denny, knew that one was a repeat, but it saves me from looking it up. How about the last leaf? Might this be a new sport?
    Thanks, Dan

• User
    13 years ago

In the spring I posted pictures of my fortunei Hyacinthina sport. The eye has five or six leaves, substantially similar.

This one was taken on May 8.

May 28

Mid-June

Late June, tattered by hail but holding its colors.

It is near the center of a 4.5' diameter clump, so I am leaving it alone for this year.

Another fortunei has an eye that's streaky, but it remains to be seen if that will hold all season or return next year.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

They are all so nice.

Jenna, I love the three colors of yours.That blue edge is very nice, and it seems to have a bit of a wave to it.
    Pretty.
    cAROL

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here's a newer pic of my Francee sport. Phil

{{gwi:889979}}

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Top - Zounds and Sun Power
    Bottom - Regal Splendor and Maui Buttercups
    -Sun Power Sport has pretty much stabilized with exception of a few light blotches in darker area.
    -Those three leaves are same division on Regal Splendor which normally has a lot of edge variation - probably just flirting.
    -Two leaves on that division of Maui Buttercups have a patch of dark - only had MB for 3 years and see it has a sporting heritage.
    {{gwi:1056331}}

Paul

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Paul,your Sun Power sport looks like my Abba Dabba Do. Of course,you may call it anything you want! Phil

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Phil, it is similar to Abba Dabba Do- except much lighter - I got good contrast on the pic above , contrast is much more subtle - so we'll see in a few years how much different. I have Abba Dabba Do about 20 feet away and it is much darker. I saw a similar plant in the Dean Garden from the tours - so I'm guessing not an unusual sport.

Here's Abba Dabba Do and the above sport both taken July 4th for comparison-
    {{gwi:1056332}}

I'm gonna label it "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" from song Monkey and the Chimp.

Paul

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Dabba Honey Do would be cute name too as the colors remind me a bit of Honey Dew melon ;)

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Chris, I like that one, too.

Paul

• jennaj_z4mn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, thanks for the info about what to look for and what to wait for! I guess I should have waited a while for this to settle into something (if at all)--live and learn, right?! I saw your post on your forum--I do have "sport envy"!!! How exciting to find those and be able to watch them grow up!

I love everyone elses sports too--Paul, your Zounds sport rocks!!

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Hi Jenna,

If I had your sport I'd be watching it like a hawk - it really does show some promise to give a white centered Rainforest Sunrise, and that would be very cool! Whether or not it would be vigorous is another issue, but I would be excited by the prospect :)

And your post was the inspiration for me to share mine!

Chris