Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

plantiginea .... a history

can anyone interpret this for us .. lol ...

does anyone else find it VERY interesting.. or am i.. or was i.. just a hosta geek ... lol ..

with kudos to Geo. Schmid ... at the link

i dont understand why the 'copy'.. left off letters at teh end of lines ..??? the original pdf is fine ...

ken

Hosta plantaginea represents an evolutionary step back and has molecular macro- and micromorphological characters that set it apart from the Korean and Japanese species. Predecessors of thgenus probably migrated from the east-central Chinese mainland, where thmost âÂÂprimitiveâ hosta still exists (H. plantaginea), through southern Manchuria into the Korean peninsulaand via this southern route to souJapan. The northern route extended along the coast of the south-eastern USSR following a path on the southerside of the Sikhote-Alin mountain range and migrating to Sakhalinfrom there south into Hokkaido and Honshu. The main Japanese islands providing a climatologically and ecologically very diverse habitat grise to increased speciation. There is good phenoltypical evidence that the taxa growing in northern Kyushu (H. tibae), on Tsushima Island (Htsushimensis) and the southernmosislands of Korea (H. jonesii) maoriginated with the northern branch of evolution, while all other, highly differentiated Korean taxa originated with the southern evolutionary branch after becoming geographically isolated in insular Korea (and it was only through geograpthat these species (Chung PhD dissertation and my own field investigations

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF at page 10

Comments (6)