Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kec01

transplanted gardener

kec01
19 years ago

My body moved to Chicago in mid-Dec., leaving all gardens and my gardening brain behind in Minnesota. The 8 1/2 yrs with zone 4 weather is playing games with where I think I should be in the yearly gardening cycle. I read the recent Midwest Gardening posts and it's weird - I am soooo used to thinking about mid-March being still snow covered, frozen many inches down and definitely not a time to be thinking about annuals.

The new house, which took a while to find and that we move into next week, has about 8 hostas, 10 tulips and nothing else. So, like the artist with the blank palette, I've got some fun work cut out. I guess I'd better get into the IL zone 5 gardening mode and get outside more this weekend!

Comments (5)

• motria
    19 years ago

Welcome to the Zone! I can't begin to tell you how many perennials there are which are hardy "Zones 5-8" or "5-10". Crossing the Zone 5 threshold opens a world of possibilities! Depending on your specific location, wind exposures, or willingness to mulch heavily, you can even pull of some Zone 6-ers. I don't have much "zone envy", myself.. then again, that acanthus (bear's breeches) looks awful neat.

P.S. see the separate posting on "Chicago IS Zone 6"

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

And this has been a cold March! Usually we've had a few more tantalizing tastes of spring by now. Are you in the city? N/NW/S or SW suburbs? It's true that, depending where you are, you can push the zone a bit. (Motria--I've seen acanthus growing quite nicely on the city's northwest side.) Your blank slate sounds like fun. Welcome.

• kec01
    Original Author
    19 years ago

We'll be in the near west suburbs and the "new yard" consists of the following: 2 concrete slabs (in addition to the garage) on which to park cars - concrete will be going away soon, a privacy fence that goes from the back alley down the side yard to the front of the house - 1/2 of it's going away soon, a disintegrating wooden shed right at the front of the house/just inside the part of the privacy fence that's going soon and the shed's going soon. The movers bring our stuff on 3/31 and I am going to have to fight the urge to grab the shovels and axes and also to hand my spouse the sledgehammer until we get rid of a few boxes. Creating gardens and prepping the soil will be the first project. At least it'll be a good motivator to get out of cardboard! More importantly, we have more outdoor months than we used to! I can't wait!

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Hmm. You have an alley. (So do I.) I'm wildly guessing you're in the Oak Park/River Forest/Berwyn/Westchester area. I hear the Oak Park conservatory is pretty nice, and if you haven't been to the Garfield Park conservatory...well, you should. I live in the near north suburbs, so I don't know exactly what your soil conditions will be (assumedly you won't be gardening in sand like I do), but late March/early April is a nice time to be moving in. You'll be settling in as the trees start budding out (or maybe you'll get a snowstorm--this is Chicago, after all). Maybe your yard will reveal a few pleasant surprises beyond the hosta and 10 tulips. The other western suburbanites will be your best source here for finding resources, but I do know that the western suburbs (I'm thinking Naperville area) have some really nice nurseries. That Growing Place and Planter's Palette come to mind, but I know there are others as well. By the way, there is a Chicago gardening magazine you may find at your local newsstand. It's not even half-bad.

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Kec01;

Save that slab of concrete- maybe they can "cut" it into
    nice squares, or rectangles, you can use it for making a wall or stepping stones, etc.