Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcg0626

Tree for a small width area

TCG0626
19 years ago

Afternoon. Just signed up a moment ago so this is my first posting. I have an area between driveways of about 7 feet and would like to put a single tree in to act as a screen between properties (our kitchen windows face each other). I went to Gesthamane last Saturday and, after rejecting fruit trees, was interested in the "hornbeam". Of particular concern is the spread of the roots; sewer pipes run along each side of where the tree is intended to be planted. Another candidate is a "quaking aspen".

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Thank You

Comments (8)

• Oswegian
    19 years ago

We put in two serviceberries on a bed that is about that width. I have seen them grown up in a landscape at our bank, and they seem like they will be about right. I think they fall in the "aboreal shrub" category, because their trunks are branched down low, but they get tall enough to look like a tree.

• TCG0626
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Morning Oswegian,

Thanks for your suggestion. Going to Jamaican Gardens in Morton Grove to look for a service berry tree/bush. Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find out.

TCG

• robarba
    19 years ago

Try Lurvey's on Dempster by 294. Good selection, prices and helpful. I also like serviceberry.

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

How about a Smoke Tree? How tall are u looking for? Toni

• TCG0626
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for the input. Going up to Lurveys this afternoon, checked out its web site, looks good. thanks Robarba. Toni, looking for a tree in the 25-35 foot height. Not familiar with a smoke tree but will make inquiries. Thanks again!

• kevin_5
    19 years ago

A 7' width is not much to work with.

Parrotia persica 'Vanessa'
    Amelanchier 'Rainbow Pillar'
    Fagus syvatica 'Red Obelisk'
    A fastigiate hornbeam would be a good choice as well.

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

Sounds like you would be ever so much better off with a section or two of tall lattice fencing arranged in an off set way... vv or /// (sorry, I cant find a symbol to show what I mean) Anyway, you wouldnt have to worry about the underground pipes, roots bulging up your respective driveways or a too-agressive plant. Also, both you and the neighbors could plant vines or hang baskets on the fences.
    The conifer forum lists some tall and narrow arborvitae trees if you really want to go with trees. Both of my suggestions might cause problems about where to go with the snow banks in winter.
    I have a narrow tree called the sentinental maple that grows in the narrowest part of my lot line. The branches stay in an upright position. However, it still rains a ton of leaves onto the neighbors yards in the fall. Not sure they are keen on that. Maybe talk it over with the neighbor and see if they have any ideas.

Pondy

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Serviceberry popped into my mind right away too. (Maybe because mine are budding out today.) Serviceberry is a native, provides food for wildlife too, which is a nice bonus. It goes by many names, Amelanchier is the Latin name. Good luck!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths