Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

New England Spring Flower Show--your opinions

ginny12
16 years ago

Altho the flower show does not open til tomorrow night, I thought it would be worth starting this thread today. There's a good pull-out section in today's (Thursday) Boston Globe, with a floor plan and list of exhibitors, special presentations, lectures and so on.

I am really looking forward to it. I have to go every year, just to smell spring and let my eyes feast on all those gorgeous plants. I can't wait to see it and to hear what everyone thinks--favorite exhibit, worst exhibit, whatever.

Comments (30)

• grow_now
    16 years ago

I just LOVE the flower show! After this long dreary winter it's great to see some color other than WHITE!

It's funny to see Tulips blooming next to Black-eye-susan or Bleeding Hearts with Butterfly bush.

My DH is sick with flu so I don't know if we'll be able to go this year or not. It's just starting so maybe next week. (If I don't get the bug after him!)

So glad I found this site!

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

I love the lectures - not only do you get to hear and talk with some experts, you get to SIT DOWN for a half hour or so.

My favorite exhibits are the ones that use natives; second are those made using plants that grow around here. The ones I skip over use tender plants - I've seen a lot of those and it seems to defeat the purpose. Then again, remember the highway department's display of orange marigolds and purple petunias last year? It certainly was full of ... drive-by color! I skip over that kind of exhibit too.

I always take a pen & pad of paper - I've seen some great plants at the show that I'd otherwise never have discovered. This year I'll have my camera at hand too, I don't think I've done that before.

Can't wait!

• bostongardens
    16 years ago

I just love being at the Show! Always learn something. I took some pictures yesterday during set-up. A couple are on the Observations page of my Web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: BostonGardens

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Definitely worth going. Last year the quality was back up to the high standards of the past. The recent turmoil at Mass Hort seems to be over thankfully. I'm planning this year to go on Wednesday where the theme for the day is "Great Gardens of New England Day". Lots of good talks that day about destination gardens to visit (i.e. Strawberry Bank, Coastal Maine Botanic Gardens, etc.) These are a few gardens I'd like to visit so may be seeing a talk will inspire me to make the trip this year!

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Any reports from the show? Any good talks or memorable displays? Photos?

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was there Friday as a volunteer and it really was wonderful I can't wait to go back this week and examine everything at leisure. (And buy garden stuff :))

The theme this year is Rhapsody in Green and the emphasis is on gardening beautifully with environmental awareness. Lots of inspiration and lots of great practical ideas.

As I was working, I couldn't look closely at every exhibit (tho I tried) but my absolute favorite of the ones I did get a good look at was a large garden using spring-green bamboo groves, our native granite walkways, and a seating terrace with the same spring-green color chairs. There was also a modernistic water feature, moss, jack in the pulpits and other plants.

I don't know who did this garden as the names of all the exhibitors were covered during the judging process but, based on the oohs and ahhs, this one was a home run.

There was so much more but others can report their favorites. I really don't see how any New England gardener could miss this show, if only for the physical pleasure of seeing and smelling *Spring*!

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Thanks Ginny for the report. Will be sure to check out the exhibits you mentioned. I am surprised there are no other reports to this thread. Aren't people going to the show?

• flowerlady56
    16 years ago

There is always something of interest, and the show was wonderful! But what's going on? I've gone every year now for 20 years. Last year there was less to look at, and this year much less. The Marketplace has been sparse in the past couple of years, but the gardens themselves aren't as exciting or elaborate. I wonder if it's the cost to do display gardens? It felt like I was visiting the New England Flower Show in hard times.

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

I've been trying to get there... maybe tomorrow. I want to see Paul Miskovsky's exhibit, he's from Falmouth and his exhibit won lots of awards this year. He used to collaborate with Haskell, and has a unique style.

Time to check the lecture schedule, I know I've already missed his talk, Rick Darke, and Julie Moire Messervy (sorry if I've misspelled these names!)

Ah, yes, shopping! I can't wait for that, either. I went wild on the Asiatica web site yesterday, but luckily had to reboot my computer before I got to hit the order button. Whew!

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

I haven't been in years. Although there were always a few great exhibits, the year tete a tete narcissis showed up in half the displays I felt bored. Sometimes I felt like I was getting a visual report on gardening cliches of the year. Sorry to sound sour, but that's why I don't go.

I remember some time back hearing what an exhibit cost by the time you factored in plant materials (advanced planning, forcing, maintenance and replacement during the show;) person power; paying the exhibition fee. It was something astronomical. It was reported very difficult for the little guys to afford, and for the big guys it was never financially profitable, but more an investment in public good will and name recognition. I thought Weston Nurseries even went to every other year because of the expenses. If not them, some big name. Maybe energy prices have affected the operating margin of nurseries and related businesses

• asarum
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Flowerlady. The word that comes to mind for me is "low-key" I sympathize with the problems of high cost.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

I went yesterday and had a great day! Yesterday was "Great Gardens of New England Day" at the flower show and they had representatives with booths from all the non profit gardens in New England available to talk to, answer questions, get brochures about, etc. I went to two interesting lectures. One was a pictorial tour of the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens:
    http://www.mainegardens.org

This is one place I'd like to get to and the slides shown in the lecture and descriptions of it make me want to visit this year. Another talk I went on was given by John Forti, curator of historic landscapes, on heirloom plants and about the gardens of Strawberry Banke. He was formerly of Plimoth Plantation and was brought in to rive and enhance the gardens at Strawberry Banke. Strawberry Banke is also on my list of gardens to visit.

At the different booths, I came across a few I hadn't heard of -- The Spohr Gardens in Falmouth, Mass has a Daffodil Days event being one of them:

http://www.spohrgardens.org/

This is a 6 acre garden that you can visit other times of the spring, summer and fall and the price is free!

So I thought the chance to get information on all these great places to visit in New England in one place was a great benefit to me. I ended up spending about 6 hours at the show and had plenty of time to view all the exhibits. While I do agree the show seems smaller than in years past I thought the plant material and displays were of good quality. I just love the part of the show with the judged arrangements, people's houseplants, kid's plant contests too. I think it was worth it. In years past I haven't really gone to many of the vendors but this year did get to walk around. Seemed like only 30-40% of the vendors were actually garden related. This was ok to me as I wasn't really there to buy anything. Hope to post my pictures later today or tomorrow.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention -- Ginny12 did you see the Peony Envy vendor in the marketplace? I remember you were interested one time in getting special peony cultivars. They seemed to have peony tubers/roots of many interesting ones.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Some of my photos from the show (a small sample but I don't want to bore anyone!). Sorry about the typos -- don't have time to proofread right now!

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: NE Flower Show Photos

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the photos, Sedum. I wanted to go this year, but just didn't have the time this week, so it's nice to at least get a hint of what I might have seen. (However I am in MA this weekend, and it's a treat just to see ground with no snow on it!!!)

• bostongardens
    16 years ago

Great photos, Sue! Thank you for sharing.

Just heard today that the 2009 Flower Show will not be moving to the new Boston Convention Center after all (will have to update my article). The 2009 theme and latest details will be announced on April 17.

I will be sure to post any information I receive in the Snippets section. (I have a couple of new pictures on the Home Page, but they do not compare with Sedum's fabulous images!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Gardens

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want to add my thanks to you, Sue, for posting the great photos. I enjoyed them very much. A nice way to remember things--we like a lot of the same things. And I went the same day you did--actually late pm and evening.

I really enjoyed the show. Yes, it was somewhat smaller than other years but still big and still lots of interest for any gardener. I know lots of people can't go because of work or geography or whatever, but it is a mystery to me how any gardener could miss it otherwise. It runs thru Sunday so there's still time!

And yes, I saw the Peonies Envy booth--and kept walking. Not sure buying bare-root peonies in the late winter is a great idea, plus the wink-wink Freudian pun of the dealer's name was not appealing. However, the booth called "Desperate Houseplants" did give me a chuckle and I bought something there.

I did get my supply of great tulips, primroses, pussy willow, shamrocks etc. so my house is a bower of flowers, at least indoors. I really look forward to bringing an early spring home every year. Wilson Farms had the most beautiful double-flowered tulips, a crushed raspberry color, that look exactly like small peonies. Gorgeous! I bought a bunch of 20 for $7.99 and they are as fresh as could be.

And BostonGardens, what is the news about the flower show staying at Bayside? That's the first I've heard this. What drove the decision? I'm very curious as the other deal has been signed for quite awhile.

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pictures of the flower show Sedum. I went yesterday afternoon and took pictures of a lot of the same scenes, however different angels. The crowds were at comfortable levels and I enjoyed the green theme. A little low key (less flower color), but worth the trip if I can come home with a couple of ideas or a good purchase from exhibitors - mission accomplished!
    Here are a few thumbnails you can click to enlarge:

The metal painted butterflies were part of an exhibit to promote the Rhode Island Flower Show:

Two angles from an interesting exhibit:

This shed had a fun chandelier inside and great landscaping around the structure (note the stonework):

I really liked the iron work on this gate:

An arrangement with a burst of color!

Creative use of an accent plant and stone for a water feature:

And my purchase - a snail sculpture to place in one of my hosta gardens!

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I went yesterday and was more impressed with the exhibits than what we see up here at the Portland Flower Show. There were a lot more vendors too, but more like a flea market atmosphere than a garden atmoshphere. Someone was selling tubers that were obviously four o'clocks as "special Japanese changing color flowers" or something like that. But I did pick up a small bonsai kit for $9.99.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

IMHO, it was not worth the price to get in. Very nice exhibits, the few that were there and the vendors seem to get further and further away from gardening every year.
    Of course I'll go again next year, and every year I live in the area, but it was a disappointment compared to last year.

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

I hope you will forgive me for a short hijack. I see some posters whose names are new to me. Please keep an eye on the Boston Area Spring SWap thread. We'd love to meet the people behind the names, and have more face to face friends to share our gardening passions and pleasures. And of course, share plants, food, and opinions.
    Idabean

• bostongardens
    16 years ago

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA on Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 15:35

....what is the news about the flower show staying at Bayside? That's the first I've heard this. What drove the decision? I'm very curious as the other deal has been signed for quite awhile. ....

Hi Ginny,

I received the following: "The 2009 New England Flower Show will take place March 14 -22, 2009 at the Bayside Expo Center .... Bayside wasnÂt ready to start building on the property for a while ...."

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

a few pictures from the flower show I took last Tuesday.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for looking at my photos! Tom and Hostabuff love the photos you posted. Some different shots and it is fun to look at others photos you definitely see some new things in the photos! And BostonGardens writeup and photos of the show.

Interesting note Hilda about the show staying put next year. I don't know how happy I am that the show will eventually be moving to the new convention center as I am so used to it at the Bayside Expo. It seems like they don't need the space also as the show seemed smaller this year versus last year.

So one exhibit I enjoyed last year was the decorated tables by interior designers all with a beach theme. It was quite an interesting display. The wife of a co-worker participated in this part and it was neat to see what each desigener came up with on the same theme. She said that Mass Hort decided not to have this again this year and I wonder why as the participants had to pay for all the decorations, etc. to be part of it. Another thing missed was the displays by Mahoneys, Weston Nurseries (having recent troubles) and Laughtons (now bought by Mahoneys). Seemed like the big nurseries that used to put on pretty impressive displays were missing this year.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FWIW, I heard that exhibitors were hit hard by the cost of fuel. It takes a huge amount of fuel to heat the greenhouses that force all those plants. Just think about it. That may account for fewer exhibitors this year.

And I don't know if either is true, but I heard Mahoney's was supposed to exhibit--they are the biggest nursery in the area--but pulled out late. And someone told me that Lexington Gardens is going out of business--or is being sold to Mahoney's. Anyone know anything about either of these? To emphasize again, I don't know if either is true.

All of this affects us as gardeners. The exhibits show us new plants, new garden features, new ways of planning our gardens. If the show ever shuts its doors, we will have lost something really important to New England gardeners, casual and fervent. And the fewer nurseries, the less choice for us. If all that's left is Home Depot...ugh...can't stand to think about it.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Ginny... interesting and depressing...

I hope that Lexington Gardens isn't being sold! That would be terrible. I love to shop there. I don't want all the nurseries to be owned by Mahoney's we definitely will be limited in our plant material choices if this trend keeps happening. I will not be happy if all we eventually have is Walmart and Home Depot! Just think the last few years: Laugtons sold to Mahoneys, Weston Nursery selling off half its land, Arena Farms in Concord, Mass out of business and its land sold to a private school... the trend is not good.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Doing a quick google search here is a recent article that says that Lexington Gardens has filed with the town to demolish the buildings, greenhouses, etc. and subdivide the land into house lots. So it won't even be bought by Mahoney's. Very sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Gardens Article...

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Sedum - I also enjoyed the decorated tables and was looking forward to seeing them this year! It was such a simple and interesting concept to add to a garden - a table-scape. It's really too bad - especially if space is available...

I am quite bothered by the trend of land being more VALUABLE to builders and contractors. Gone are the days of farms and people wanting to work the land. Taxes make ffarming/nurseries not profitable so they sell to builders - The builders clear the land, pop up 4-5 McMansions, throw in a few out of place rocks, some ornamental grasses, shrubs and wham it's sold... Then they'll name the community after the farm "Wheeler's Farm Community" like that makes it Okay... The owners don't care that it used to be someone's farm or the maintenance or care of the land. Again, gone are the days of people wanting to take pride in their properties - they just make it green I guess... I'm personally sickened by it.

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

I knew it was being sold, and was told that it would def. be in business all summer, and probably fall. I did not see the article or I would gone to the committee hearing. Did anyone attend? Maybe the minutes are on line. It makes me sad. There is so little housing that is actually affordable here. If people are going to build, I hope they will build in scale with the property, and not put up huge hulking buildings. So, next year we need to support Blanchettes and Seawrights and even Stonegate, if you can afford it. Oh yes, New England Nurseries, which has quite decent plants, a n excellent variety of shrubs and trees and pleasant help.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

It is definitely difficult for nurseries and farms to stay in business. Given the high cost of fuel lately and the fact that their land is often worth 'muli millions' of dollars it is hard to blame a farmer eeking out a living selling out to a developer. I try to do 95% of my plant buying and shopping at local nurseries and only 5% at box stores. Often I don't buy anything at the box stores in a season because the selection of plants (not just the quality) isn't what I am looking for. I can agree that they are a good source for beginning gardeners just getting started with their common plant varieties offered (tried and true) but at what cost to local nurseries?

Idabean I too like New England Nurseries in Bedford, Mass. They definitely carry different types of uncommon annuals, perennials, container plants etc. than you can find other places. I think their prices are fair and they have coupons in the local papers for deals.

Anyone here just getting going in gardening don't be scared off thinking that local nurseries are much higher in prices and avoiding them. Definitely check them out you may be pleasantly surprised they are quite competitive with the box stores and offer plants you are unfamiliar with or only available through mail order.