Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomakers

Heirloom or OP Tomato Plants in Southeast Massachusetts

tomakers
17 years ago

Does anyone know of a good source for them?

I am also looking for someone growing hybrid tomatoes Jet Star and Supersonic.

Comments (11)

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Gore Place in Waltham has an heirloom plant sale in May. Also Russells Garden Center in Wayland has heirloom tomato plants. I am sorry these suggestions aren't in Southeastern MA though. Tomatoes are so easy from seed have you considered growing your own? You can get seeds from Tomato Growers Supply (and they have a good reputation on GardenWatchDog):

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Gore Place Plant Sale May 2007

• tomakers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have quite a few plants started. This was in case things don't go as planned. In the past I have had to run around at the last minute. I thought this year it would be so much simpler if I knew where to go. :-)

• asarum
    17 years ago

I live in Weymouth and noticed last year that heirloom tomatoes have hit the mainstream, appearing even at places like Home Depot. Last year I ended up short one Cherokee Purple, and bought it and an Eva Purple Ball at my local nurseries. No way to predict which heirlooms you will see, but it now seems to be the thing to sell them as a specialty item in individual pots.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Yes asarum -- true the heirloom tomatoes are showing up more and more frequently. There are a couple of farm stand type places near me (unfortunately northern MA) that carry them but like you said don't know what varieties you'll get....

tomaker - one more thing. Don't get discouraged if your tomato plants grown from seed are smaller than the ones in the stores. Remember that the store bought ones sometimes have been pumped with all sorts of fertilizer, etc. to get them to look that way. My experience my tomatoes are always smaller than the store when I put them out but they catch up fast!

Sue

• llaz
    17 years ago

Last year my local Whole Foods had a good selection of organically grown heirloom tomato plants that came from several organic farms in Massachusetts. There were enough interesting varieties that I couldn't resist that added to the ones I started from seed, I ended up growing sixty varieties!

• noticklish
    17 years ago

A nursery in CT is host to the first tomato plant festival/sale on the east coast. The plants are huge and they are adding more varieties this year. People come from all over the new england area for it- may 18-20th 2007.

• tomakers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"A nursery in CT is host to the first tomato plant festival/sale on the east coast."
    Ok thanks, where is it?

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

And, if you're at all interested in mail order, check out
    the link below. . .I was stunned to discover they are right
    up the road a few miles from me, and also do retail. . .
    being forwarned that some things sell out fast, I showed up
    for their opening day last weekend and it was an absolute
    jaw-dropper to see that many varieties under one greenhouse
    roof!

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Country Nurseries

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

Noticklish was presumably referring to 'Tomatomania' held
    at White Flower Farm. . .

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: White Flower Farm

• tom2000
    15 years ago

I am get new information about tomato in this forum topic.
    I think the tomato festival is loss of money.
    We don't use tomato in that way.
    I am not interested in this festival.
    we use the tomato for cooking purpose only.
    ------------------------------------

Here is a link that might be useful: Massachusetts Alcohol Addiction Treatment

• ceh2101
    14 years ago

Too late in the season now, but Kingston Nursery, just off Route 3, had a great variety of heirlooms, as did Kennedy's over in Scituate.