Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee4nebraska

Help!!....Storm takes out shade tree

dee4nebraska
16 years ago

We had a powerful wind and rain storm that ripped thru our area Sunday afternoon taking one of my two favorite 17 yr. old ash trees right to the ground. What do I do with the shade loving hostas after we get everything cleaned up? Besides keeping them watered now, should I try to put up some kind of temporary shade cloth or just wait till fall or spring and move them? It will be in the 90's all week. And then looking ahead I know I will not replace it with another ash because of the threat of emerald ash borer, but what should I plant? Now I know why my DH is always so protective of our house roof and insists that trees be plenty far away in case of a storm. This one missed the house by at least 25 feet.

Comments (11)

• lindac
    16 years ago

They will survive....water and lots of it....and they will look awful! But grow will fast!
    I replaced a crab apple with a redbud and last winter in the ice storm I lost lots of shade from my big old maple....and I planted a small red bud to fill in until other stuff grows.
    Replace the tree with whatever grows well in your area....I would plant a hard maple...but Ken will rant and rage if I recommend that.
    Condolances on the loss of your tree.
    Linda C

• hostared
    16 years ago

I feel your pain but it will be alright. I lost a 100 year old shade tree last year. Most of mine were in full sun and still are now. We watered well they adapted and are doing great. If you want you can purchase shade cloth for a dog run at most box stores or pet supply. Give plenty of water. They will do fine.

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Being in zone 4, I would think that your hot weather wouldn't last as many weeks as in warmer zones, so with plenty of water, (as was mentioned above) they'll do fine.

I lost a 100+ yr. old Oak that died and was sawed down, leaving my hostas open to the sun. The only ones I moved were the blue-leaved ones. I also moved some astilbe and ferns. They all look great, except for some ragged edges suffered from a horrific wind storm in June.

Julie

• Teresa_MN
    16 years ago

Most of mine are in full sun in zone 4. They grow like weeds.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

as one person once noted.. most hosta will live ... in the sun .. on the driveway .. with utter neglect ... through the whole winter ... who was that sage ... lol ...

DONT GIVE THEM ANOTHER THOUGHT .... try to drown them .. and leave them there ... get ye an oak ... spend some good money on a 6 to 8 footer .... bare root in say early October .. or early April ... or in other words 6 to 8 weeks before the ground freezes ... or as soon as the ground thaws in spring ...

i got some 6 to 8 foot oaks ... bare root .. from van wade in 4/2001 ... and some are going on 30 feet tall ... most are over 20 feet ... red/shingle/scarlet/black .... 8 feet when holding it in the air .. 6 feet after you plant the roots .. lol .. they are growing 3 to 5 feet a year after the year of planting ...

Neb has to have at least one tree farm .... buy the best you can afford ... consider it a heritage tree ...

good luck
    ken

PS: its august.. all hosta are starting to get ratty ... just water them and worry about something else... the extra sun will help them store extra food for next year.. i will bet a buck .. they will be bigger than ever ...

• dee4nebraska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for everyones replies. My Blue Angels are scorched already. I also have 2 Sum and Substance, Patriot, Morheim, Gold regal, and a beautiful new Stained Glass in that area that is now full sun. As well as 4 varieties of coral bells and lamium. I am on my way out to try to construct a cover out of posts and tarp to give temporary shade to at least the blue ones. The best time for tree planting here is fall so I will be tree shopping soon. Even before the storm I had been wanting to purchase either a red oak or a serviceberry. Now I have a better reason to buy one. Cleanup was actually simple as we only took the chainsaw to two bottom branches and then my DH put a log chain around the trunk and lifted it up high with his payloader tractor. He backed up slowly and did not damage one single plant.I had visions of him dragging this tree across the berm that held all these plants. Now if only there was a way to put a few hundred acres of near record corn crop back up straight we would be a whole lot happier!

• jenniejenjen
    16 years ago

Dee,

I'm not sure where exactly you are, but I'm just South of Omaha...that was a wicked storm wasn't it. I'm sorry you lost your trees, but I wanted to let you know that a few Omaha nurseries are have big sales on their B&B trees...I just had 3 put in last week and saved a bundle. Lanoha nursery (192nd and West Center) has a huge selection of good sized trees...all 25% off. Mulhalls (120th and Maple) is offering about a dozen different kinds of trees for 20% off.

Hopefully we get some relief from the heat, eh?
    Jen

• dee4nebraska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jen for the info. I am about 70 miles NW of Omaha, about half way between Fremont and Norfolk. I'm hoping to check out those nurseries this week-end when I go down to Omaha to babysit my grandkids. A friend of mine got some great trees on sale at Earl May several weeks ago. We have two local suppliers I want to check with, too. I love summer but am really looking forward to the cooler days of fall.

• jenniejenjen
    16 years ago

Dee,

Are there any good nurseries up your way? I've thought about going to Garden Perennials in Wayne...have you ever been?

Jen

• dee4nebraska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garden Perennials at Wayne is a great nursery. I didn't make it up there this season but might make it this fall with a couple gardening friends. All her stuff is grown outside(no greenhouses) and thus transplants easily and is already acclimated to our weather and zone.She doesn't have a huge selection of hostas but I can still find lots I don't have. Another great one is Bluebird Nursery at Clarkson Nebraska. They are mostly wholesale but have a great retail shop, too.They have limited hours now that the spring rush is over but you can look them up on the Web for times and info. I see they have trees on sale now(30% off) until the end of August. I just might have to check them out first as they are less than 20 miles from me. The owner Harlan Hammernick is a world traveler and has lots of unusual plants as well as our favorites.Our extension service has had him speak and show slides numerous times and he's a crowd getter. West Point also has a couple smaller nurseries I like to shop at. I haven't been to the farmers mkt. in downtown Omaha for a couple yrs. but I always wanted to check out a nursery that brought hostas and shade perennials there.It was advertised as 30 minutes from downtown and I can't remember for the life of me the name of it. Any clue? Dee

• jenniejenjen
    16 years ago

No clue of the hosta supplier...I've been looking for a good local place, but haven't found one that looks disease free. I've only been here a year, so I'm still looking.

Thanks for the info on nurseries up your way...it'll make for a nice day out of town.

Good luck tree shopping!
    Jen

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor