Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

A New Convert To Spring; May 4th 2006 in the Cotton-Arbo retum.

arbo_retum
17 years ago

It may seem strange to most of you, but as a lifelong gardener, I think I have just come, this year, to really appreciate Spring in the gardens. It must be the glass half-empty syndrome, but previous to this year,I was always impatient for the "real" gardening season to get going. Maybe itÂs the collective impact of a large and diverse finally-established collection, but I have finally seen the light. And like many types of converts, I want to Testify!! First of all, the visual field is not as dense as it is post-spring. Individual trees, shrubs, perennials, visually STAND OUT more. They havenÂt yet been enveloped by the plantings around them.

Aside from the obvious bulbs blooming, here are most of the wondrous plants in which I am reveling. They are pretty much all about FOLIAGE. From the ground up to the sky, my eyes are filled with patches of yellow, purple, orange, blue, green, and variegation- in hundreds of different shapes, sizes, and permutations.

Trees: The Japanese Maples are the Queens- every possible color, and big patches of it. Even the green ones stand out beautifully because every green is different and also because of the hanging bright red seed/flower panicles that grace every Jap.Maple this time of year // Acer Negundo KellyÂs Gold simultaneously has its very yellow foliage and its drooping butter yellow flowers. And itÂs right next to the deep Purple foliage of the Purple Leaf Plum tree// Prunus Kwanzan is just beginning bloom and Prunus Hallie Jolivette is still covered with long lasting dainty pendulous light pink flowers.The white and salmon Cornus Floridas have my very favorite of spring tree flowers.// Equal in my devotion are the Aeschulus Pavia. Their salmon red leaf sheaths, equivalent to a first flowering, are just fading as their stout upright salmon red flower stalks are getting ready to pop.// The dainty variegated foliage of Zelkova , Cornus Alternifolia and Liquidambar Styrac. Silver King, and the bolder splashy variegation and emerging flat flower heads of the Cornus Controversa// deep purple foliage of nascent Cercidiphyllum Red Fox and Fagus Sylv. Red Obelisk//Bright yellow of Metasequoia Ogon.

Conifers: how handsomely they stand out with their solid shapes of all versions of yellow, blue, and green.

Shrubs and Vines: Viburnums!!: Mohawk and Sweet Spice are blooming, Onondaga has outed its emerging maroon flowers; AureaÂs golden foliage is glowing.The tiny new Sino Calycanthus Hartledge Wine has itÂs first maroon bloom. // Forsythias: assorted variegateds, and aurea, fully leafed out// Daphne Carol Mackie, my favorite but

most-often -lost shrub, all leafed out and beginning bloom// Spirea Gold Flame has its salmon/rust tinged gold foliage- so enjoyable without its later clashing fuschia flowers.//Pieris jap.Mountain FireÂs bright red new foliage and drooping ivory flower panicles// the glorious yellow foliage of that form of: Philadelphus , Physocarpus , Cornus Alba , Forsythia,Sambucus Sutherland Gold, Weigela, Berberis//gold- green leaved Kerria profusely blooming its single cream colored upturned flowers, in significant shade; the dainty leaved fountains of variegated Kerria with buttercup-yellow single flowers, in shade// the dainty pink pompoms of flowering Almond//

those high-impact large flowered salmon and multi-colored Quince with their month-long bloom period // the splashed yellow/green heart shaped leaves of Syringa Acubifolia Dappled Dawn// the small leaved, deep green/clear yellow variegation of Acanthopanix and Cornus Alba Goutchaltii, and green and white variegation of the red twigged Cornus Alba Ivory Halo and Elegantissima// the emerging light yellow/green variegation of varieg. mini and regular Weigela; the deep purple foliage of assorted Barberries, Weigela Summer Wine, Physocarpus Diablo , Sambucus Black Beauty, Purple leaf Sand Cherry,the just-emerging Cotinus Grace and Royal Purple// Vines: purple tinged Lonicera and deep purple emerging foliage of Clematis Recta Frieda; various yellow/green boldly-variegated Euonymus.

Perennials: The glorious aurea foliage of that form of: Dicentra, Centaurea , Stachys, Heuchera, Hakonechloa, Tradescantia , Carex Acorus, Lysimacia numularia.// brilliant blue flowers and silver spotted leaves in shade, of Pulmonaria HighDown? and Bertram Anderson? //Epimediums- thank heavens for these dry -shade tolerant dainties with their rust-variegated hearty shaped leaves and their shooting star flowers of white,pale yellow, cerise, etc.// various variegated silver and green leaved Lamium and Brunnera Jack Frost // Bright blue flowers of tiny mat-forming Veronia repens?Georgia Blue// large upright pink and white flower panicles of stately Dicentra// assorted white and red flowered Trillium, some with beautiful leaf variegation// felty green heart shaped foliage of Saruma Henryii with buttercup yellow flowers// the emerging salmon and white foliage of Fallopia Varieg.// purple-chevroned leaves of Tovara and Geranium Samobar// the emerging long-lasting yellow cushions of Euphorbia Polychroma// the deep purple foliage of Euphorbia Chameleon , Anthriscus, Cryptotaenia Jap. Atropurpurea, Cimicifuga Hillside Black Beauty,Lysimachia Atropurp., Eupatorium Chocolate,assorted Heuchera // the purple flush of emerging Japanese Painted Fern, Peonies, Astilbe// Yellow and green striped short Bamboo //the bold cream and green variegation of Liriope var., and the useful verticals of Hosta Fluctuans Variegata, Yucca Golden Sword, and Iris Pallida varieg.

So, I guess I have a lot to testify about. It is truly an eye- popping time here, and I am thrilled with Spring. Come visit! (See my Member page.)

Best, Mindy

Comments (7)

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mindy, I'm pretty sure you are an excellent gardener, but I KNOW you are an excellent writer. I hope you have a blog, and if not, please start one and have it reblogged to GW's Garden Voices. Blogspot.com has space that's free and easy to use, there are no doubt other sites that are similar.

I love reading your posts here, by writing on a blog (as well as here) your writing will stay on-line indefinitely, and not scroll away into oblivion on page 12 of the NE forum. I've had one for just a few weeks; I only write to mine when it's raining or after the sun goes down so there's not much on it. I don't expect fame or fortune from it, but it's kind of fun to be able to page back through and see what I've been up to this spring.

• chelone
    17 years ago

This is the BEST time of year, Mindy! Welcome to the club. No bugs, and every day you notice huge changes in the littlest things.

I have to photograph the ferns tomorrow... they're already bursting out of the ground, and the Astilboides tabularis is really coming on strong... I'm thrilled!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I've been running out before work and taking pictures in the garden every morning this week. All the foliage is fresh, nothing has been ravaged by heat or pests, the light is just right. Alot of my garden is under construction to redo some older areas and try to add more woody plant structure. In some ways I wish I wasn't doing this now because I miss the spring views of those particular gardens but then I remind myself how much better it will look next spring-or at least I hope.

Mindy, I enjoy your informal garden blogging too.

Sue

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Mindy: Your bloggette was a perfect way to start my day!

It seems that this year was a REAL Spring. We've been talking about the fact that the last five or six years Spring has been fairly non-existent. The one week 40degF to 80degF cycle must've broken this year. The coloration of the trees looks almost like Autumn and I don't remember that for a very long time. And we still have PEEPERS!!! None of this two day and gone stuff :-)

Isn't it great that as gardeners we can still be amazed after "all these years?"

Martie

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

martie, you are exactly right about this spring; i hadn't realized that before. well, you got me inspired so i started a new post- see Amazed post above!!

thank you all for the encouragement. i've started a blog, after dtd's suggestion. it contains only what you'd find on GW New Eng. but i'll let you know how to access it when i've figured that out!!

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Mindy, thanks so much for the description of spring in your gardens. I can just picture the beautiful variations in foliage color that you described-it must be marvelous!

• triciae
    17 years ago

I must admit that while I appreciate Spring as the poetic season of renewal & hope, etc. it's never been my favorite time of year. I'm a native Californian and Spring in New England has always seemed cold & raw to me. I expect my bulbs to be in bloom in March and to be in a Tee & sandals by Easter and, of course, that's silly here.

But, this year...while we've had our share of blustery, cool days my garden also has been a delight. Last Spring, I remember missing my azaleas bloom due to cold, rainy, raw weather. This year, it's only the first week in May and I've been gardening for six weeks already. Yesterday, as I was walking thru on my morning tour...the sun was peeking through a heavy cloud cover and highlighting the pastel blue woodland phlox in full bloom under my electric pink 'Olga Mezzitt'. It took my breath away. I stopped, stared and thought...Wow, that looks like a picture from a glossy magazine! Then, last night as I was waiting for my hubby to get home...I was taking my evening stroll through the garden and enjoyed a similar experience. The setting sun was almost entirely blocked by what I refer to as a "Mystic Pewter" sky. But, through one hole in the gray cover a ray of sun was hitting the Jap. hakone grass hedge that is surrounded with one of my carefully tended moss gardens. The interplay of light, texture, & color was breathtaking.

I often wonder if non-gardeners ever stop and just appreciate the beauty that plants bring into our world?

I ask because yesterday afternoon I walked over to our marina to visit with friends arriving at their boats for the weekend. We have just purchased a new-to-us boat & will be making the passage up from Annapolis beginning May 22 so we were talking about boating, in general. My friend, Linda, seemed almost angry with me when I mentioned at the end of our conversation how much my husband and I were enjoying our new gardens. She said something like, "So, your garden has priority over your boat?" I was dumbstruck...didn't know what to say. I responded with..."No, Linda...it doesn't have priority over the boat. We love both. Choosing would be like asking me to choose between my piano or my painting. I love both of those, as well." While walking home from the marina, I was wondering if she even saw the beauty in a garden or if all she associated with was as she called it...the "work" of a garden. We don't consider it work. Time-consuming...yes...but work...No! It's a pleasure to tend and reap the rewards of our toils. Her husband will "work" on his boat all weekend and consider it a hobby but my gardening is just "work". Bah, humbug!

Last Sunday, our dockmaster Russ...stopped by with a division of his pink peonies saying, "I noticed you haven't planted a peony yet" pointing in the direction of an empty spot, "and I thought this was a perfect spot." I was THRILLED. There is no better gift for me than a "from my garden to yours" present. We immediately planted our shared peony in the exact spot he suggested and I'm looking forward to enjoying not only its blooms but the memories of a friend's sharing for years to come.

Some people just don't seem to register the more esoteric parts of life...as my friend Linda demonstrated. She just doesn't "get it". I feel sorta sorry for her. IMO, she's missing something so beautiful about life as the season's progress. She would, I'm certain, think I was batty if I mentioned the appeared delicacy of a poppy bloom fluttering in the wind yet spoke of its strength and endurance.