Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Mosquitoes are eating me alive

buyorsell888
13 years ago

I have never in all my life seen mosquitoes this bad here. They are active in broad daylight and in huge swarms. I have had no luck with Off clip on fan or three different botanical repellents or Skin So Soft I hesitate to smear myself with DEET. I must have fifty bites.

I do have multiple ponds and water features but we always use Mosquito Dunks starting in very early spring and there are no larvae in the ponds. We've drained all the containers and started fresh anyway and drained the birdbaths and didn't see a single larvae. They are swarming up out of the lawn and shrubs.

Not really a question, just wanted to vent.

Comments (9)

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I hope this hot weather will kill them off quickly! We have swarms of gnats, pesky but at least they don't bite. And house flies -- I've never seen them as bad as they are this year. sigh.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

Perhaps a neighbor has some small container forgotten in the yard that can hold water and breed mosquitoes. It doesn't take much. I wear long sleeves and pants and try to cover most of my head and face, but I found a bite on my eyelid yesterday. Supposedly West Nile is now in eastern WA.

Maybe we all need to build bat houses. I noticed swallows busy flying everywhere we went on a trip to eastern WA. We saw lots of nice wildflowers but didn't get any mosquito bites there.

• cascadians
    13 years ago

No kidding, worst mosquito infestation ever! Must be the endless cold wet winter then blam! instant height of summer. We have a Newfoundland puppy and have been taking him to parks and trails every evening since February and now it's unbearable with the writhing clouds of mosquitos so thick one breathes them in. Going to have to get out the head nets today. Just try walking along any Willamette beaches and it's Twilight Zone horror movie time.

There are so many mosquitos that they are desperate for blood and not even a nuclear bomb could deter them.

• mermaj
    13 years ago

Walking by the Willamette last evening was like an African Queen experience - Bogie and Hepburn driven to dive into the water to save their sanity! Mosquitos and gnats in huge clouds. I'm a 54 year old Oregon native and have NEVER seen mosquitos like this.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

It's bad here in SE Portland also. The last foot of rain that fell in May/June occurred in mild temperatures. It is also possible that the budget for vector control was reduced this year and places like Oaks Bottom on the Willamette River were less controlled. Or the heavy rain over-rode the control measures.

Oddly behaved skeeters, also; they don't buzz your head. The first indication is you're a pint low on blood and scratching.

• Ratherbgardening
    13 years ago

We have a bunch of them too. I'm sure there were many puddles around the woods for them to breed in this year. Swallows, bats, and tadpoles help control them around us, but they have a lot of land to cover around us.

I use a product called SSSting stop for the bites and to repel them, unless they changed the ingredients that would repel them. It's good for stings from bees, wasps, etc. too.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Was informed by neighbor/ER nurse today that they had not received any notice of cutback by county vector control.The notice is important because it can affect local health care systems.

This conversation occurred as I was swatting at mosquitoes.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

So the hip fan didn't work? Darn.

E-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It didn't work for me but many on the Perennials forum swear by it.

Oregonian article said they are floodwater mosquitoes rather than our normal ones and they breed in the tiniest of water sources and they bite more than once too.

I do feel they are decreasing somewhat. I've only had one bite today rather than dozens......