Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfaustclancy

What's your weather?

dfaustclancy
12 years ago

Hi there,

It's been so hot last coupla days. Right now it is blissfully raining in Ayer, MA. Sounds wonderful. And I don't have to water!!!! What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

Debra

Comments (8)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Upper 70's and sunny here in Plymouth, MA, but the weather map says your rain with maybe thunderstorms is aiming at us. This is the coolest it's been in several days.

Claire

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

In my RI garden (which I visited today), the sun was shining and no sign of rain. No sign of rain later tonight either, according to the weather radar. But the ground was still damp there under the mulch, from a rain 2 days ago.

In Newton where my daughter lives, the clouds roiled and the rain started, about 5-ish. I stopped off to give her one of the giant zucchinis that seem to grow so well in my RI garden. Also growing there at present are big cabbages, lots of broccoli, plenty of lettuce, and zillions of tomato blossoms (so far) but the actual tomatoes are still small and green.

Driving through Watertown, I noticed small intersection floods as the drains tried to take care of the sudden downpour.

In Cambridge where I live, evidently there was the same 5 PM storm that hit Newton & Watertown: puddles, nice soft wet garden beds, cooler air. Nice!

Carol

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Where I am in north central CT (2 mi south of the MA state line), it's dry. Had a half-hearted sprinkle around 4:30 while I was watering but it wasn't enough to do more than make the pavement damp. I bottom-watered all the winter sown perennials in pots and walked around with the watering can to give my winter sown plants in the ground a drink. Set out more plant nannies yesterday to help along the things that need more moisture. We could use a good, soaking rain but the forecast is clear the next 5 days.

I know what you're thinking...this is New England. Wait a minute and it (the forecast) will change!!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Mid to upper 60's now with light rain. A line of thunderstorms went through but didn't really have much effect here, just a few flashes and booms. The major effect was that my NOAA weather alert radio kept giving its alerts, with that insistent, urgent tone that you have to listen to.

The rain is very welcome - so's the nice cool air.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

We've had a fair amount of rain already, and it shows no sign of letting up tonight. Nice and cool, finally!

• terrene
    12 years ago

We only had a small amount of rain here in Concord, and I'm bummed. Everything is dry, and the plants just don't do as well being watered with municipal water vs. rainwater.

However I can't complain too much, we only had 2 days of awful heat, and then it clears out! I can't imagine how people in Texas or Arkansas are dealing with 100+ temps day after relentless day, with a drought thrown in.

Summers in New England are wonderful...most of the time.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Awful hot & humid here, SE coastal CT, Mon.-Wed., but last night we got .60" of a nice rain. No severe storms. Just a nice beneficial rain & it's cooler today although quite breezy.

/tricia

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

I've noticed a trend over the past three years and this year seems to be following suit. Here (Vermont) we've had cold rainy weather May through early to mid July, followed by hot dry weather lasting all the way until December (cooling down a bit in the later fall months but continued sunny and dry.)

We have entered the hot, dry portion of summer right on schedule. Love the sun, but could do without the daily watering.