Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peoniesaremyfave

Who am I? Please help identify me!

peoniesaremyfave
18 years ago

Hello all fellow NE Gardeners!

My neighbors asked me to identify a plant that they bought last year at a nursery that I recommended to them. I told them that a lot of the plants that they had that late in the season (it was October) didn't have tags but to ask the owner if he knew what they where and ask him what he recommended for planting for anything that they bought. I told them that it was sometimes fun not to know what you are going to have the following spring/summer.

Well they bought many different plants and most of them they knew what they were or I could identify for them, but I am definately stumped on this one. It is growing in full sun, it is about three feet high and it looks like it is going to have maroon flowers eventually. Not only do they want to know what it is, but I do too because I would love to have one. So here are the pictures and would love any information that any one can give on this plant:

The blooms seem to be coming out of pods, the backs of the leaves are red (really maroon) and the stalks are also red. If anyone needs any additional info (if you want me to take more pictures to help), post a reply and I will try to supply more info. Thanks for your help!

Wendi

Comments (16)

• donnamp14
    18 years ago

I am a rank novice, but I think I have something like that. Could it be a hibuscus? Mine is a Lady Baltimore Hibuscus. They look similar. If it is, it's absolutely GORGEOUS when it blooms!
    -Donna

• ego45
    18 years ago

Hibiscus moscheutos aka Hardy hibiscus aka Rose mallow.
    There are many different cultivars of it with different leaves, flowers color, habit and height.
    Since yours have alongated and serrated cut leaves and red flowers I could venture a guess that it's one of the Flemming's hybrids of which 'Lard Baltimore' and 'Fireball' are most widely grown and readily available.

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donna,

You may be right, the neighbor just bought a "Dinner Plate" Hibiscus and it doesn't look anything like it. I thought about it, looked at the pictures again and then I went looking for all the families of Hibiscus, it may be a Fork Leaf variety. I really didn't think there were that many varieties of hardy hibiscus that would survive in NE but obviously that one did. Thank you so much!

Wendi

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

EGO45,
    I was just writing a thank you to Donna when upon posting I saw your reply. A big thank you to you also!

So they are hardy here in the winter? Last question, what are the chances of my being able to get a cutting of her plant to grow. Is it a smart move or should I just go buy one?

Once again, thank you. This is truly a big help!

• hostasz6a
    18 years ago

What a lovely plant. I have a couple "dinner plate" size given to me by a neighbor two years ago. More lovely plossoms this year than last. It's a shame the flowers don't stay open longer!

• donnamp14
    18 years ago

This is so funny! I have been haunting this website for about 3 years, posting all kinds of dumb questions, and this is the first question I have ever answered! We were given two of these by a dear friend, delivered last August by the local florist. I asked him if they were hardy, and he said they were. I planted them in a sunny spot and they were gorgeous! I was sure we had lost them because they didn't emerge until June 17 this year! I was sure the winter had done them in. I covered them with mountains of mulch and maybe that's what saved them. They are truly gorgeous. Can't help with cuttings, though. I have no clue! Just remember, they emerge pretty late in spring.

• ego45
    18 years ago

I don't know if they could be propagated from cuttings and I wouldn't bother with seeds either, but rather buy already grown plant(s). All Fleming's hybrids are hardy to z4, but would need to be mulched and NOT cut till spring in zones 4-5 to be safe.
    'Lord Baltimore', 'Fireball, 'Kopper King' and 'Lady Baltimore' are by far the most popular cultivars and, at least here, readily available in big box stores and nurseries.
    Beware that they are late risers and sometime can sprout as late as June, but grow very fast and could be as wide as 5-6' so choose site accordinghly.

• ego45
    18 years ago

I just uploaded pictures of both, LordB and Fireball taken today and upon close inspection of leaves on your pictures, it's not a LB, but rather FB.
    Also, when flowers opens you'll see them more flat and tightly packed on FB and curved back and little bid looser on LB.

Fireball:

Lord Baltimore:

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone!

Donnamp, there isn't any such thing as a dumb question! Well maybe there is, but I am sure you haven't posted one. Trust me, before I posted the question I read about thirty gardening books and asked a few people. In posting that question I received both answers and pictures confirming what the answer to my question was.

I love this place! Thank you again!

Wendi

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hi,

Really pretty photos! Are those hibiscus really hardy? I am on the border of zone 5/6, can I grow those? What type of growing conditions do they need?

Thanks
    Adam

• trillium41
    18 years ago

My hibiscus go to seed and spread all over my yard! I guess I have conditons they love. I wouldn't try to take cuttings of her plant, but you can divide them. The roots are quite large and fleshy- like an octopus. As long as you get an eye on the root, you should be able to grow a plant. My hibiscus grow quite rapidly and need to be divided regularly- or they just get too big. This is probaly best done in the fall or spring.

• ego45
    18 years ago

Adam, give them plenty of sun, plenty of water and site in a wind protected site. That's it. I never feed mine.
    Beware that they are JB magnets and whole plant could be skeletonized in a matter of couple of days.
    If you'll chose taller cultivars, they could be/should be cut back to 1' after reaching 2' and you'll have more sturdy and bushy plant.
    In perennial border they are perfectly sited if planted behind peonies.
    Peony will hide their bare spot in early summer and hibiscus will decorate otherwise boring peony foliage in late summer. Good combo.

• ellen_s
    18 years ago

Gorgeous flowers!! I bought a Rose Mallow from Garden in the Woods this spring...it is about 7 ft tall with at least 100 blooms...they are enormous flowers, I am amazed that something so tropical looking is hardy here! I will try to post pictures of it here. Mine I believe is rated for zone 5, and I am definitely on the cold side of zone 5 so I'll be interested to see how it makes it through this winter.

I agree that they are a Japanese Beetle magnet though.

Ellen

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Thanks EGO45. Something to look for next year. :-)

• WOODSGRANNY
    16 years ago

i think that's a 'TEXAS STAR HIBISCUS

• york_rose
    16 years ago

Whatever it is it's definitely in the mallow family (Malvaceae).