Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Gesila
12 years ago

First picture I've taken of NBC this year.

Comments (10)

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

There's something you don't see every day...2 of my addictions...hostas and twinkle lights together! lol
    Gesila, I am awaiting your Christmas decorating pics so much! Please post here, or a link to your pics, or something!
    Please!! and thanks!
    Michelle

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'll post a link when I'm done Michelle. I didn't realize when I was putting up the lights today that they had fallen on Night Before Christmas until I started untangling them :)

Here's a video of our display a couple of years ago, we have about 10,000 more lights now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights on the Bluff

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

That's pretty impressive, Gisella. How is it that you get the lights to coordinate with the music? Is this an electronic package that you can buy?

Steve

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve, yes, it's a package you can buy with pre-programmed songs. I got it at Costco years ago. You simply plug the lights into 6 different outlets.

Last year we bought a new system in which I program the lights to turn on, off, fade, twinkle, etc. on the computer. It's took a lot of work to get that done last year so I didn't get a good video of it. It's way over the top now.

Must be our personalities, we've now done the same thing with our hostas that we have with the Christmas Lights. We started out with a few hostas a couple of years ago, added about 70 hostas the next, and this year added over 350.

My DH is such an enabler! We have so much fun working with the hostas and the lights. Actually, I think we enjoy it a little too much, we just sold our ice cream store so that we can spend more time working in the gardens with the hostas and getting the lights up before it gets cold. The ice cream store was so interfering with our addictions!

Gesila

• User
    12 years ago

Gesila, I am in SHOCK after watching all those lights flashing so quickly. I see SPOTS.

Did you ever see the movie Andromeda Strain? Flashing red lights, went into an epileptic seizure I think?

But nice job there.
    Now who counted all the lights? :)

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

Ooooh, Gesila! Something told me it was going to be amazing, and it IS! I try to imagine seeing the magic of it as a child would, but I can't help but see the massive amount of work it must be. A true labor of love!
    I can't wait for your new pics/vids.
    Thank you SO much for sharing!
    Michelle

Also, if anyone is interested...I didn't realize they were doing the same massive home light shows for Halloween, and I just saw this one which is crazy good, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Halloween Light Show 2011 - This Is Halloween - YouTube

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Gesila, I think the key thing is "we have so much fun working with the hostas and the lights"!!! Do what makes YOU happy!! Such a lot of work and oh, so creative--I'm just glad I don't live across the street from you!!! LOL!!

I also enjoyed that Halloween light show, Nutmeg. I just saw another one this morning, same house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Party Rock Halloween Lights

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I am also zone 5, will have 27, 29, 31 degrees for 3 nights starting tonight. Lights on hostas would end up in a mush on the ground thereafter...

• User
    12 years ago

And I think we will be having temps just about that low, Bernd. All the potted hosta babes on the covered porch will have a new look tomorrow. The plantagenea were all still nice and green up to this point, so we'll see about tomorrow.
    It is countdown time for the migration south.

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karen, LOL, no neighbors across the street, only an empty field. Noone to our north either! So far, no complaints from our only neighbor. And, last year, we actually decorated all the way to their driveway (with their permission). Their family has a Thanksgiving tradition of coming out to see our lights every year.

32 degrees tonight, maybe some of those hostas will turn to mush so I can start decorating the island.

Moccasin, we used to do Halloween too before they became as popular as they are now, but I had to sell them to make room for the Christmas lights.

Gesila