Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Can you name these similar outstanding hostas???

donrawson
14 years ago

Here are four different hostas which are new outstanding introductions...perhaps all somewhat similar in size and appearance, but each with a different background. Oh, what I'd give to have them for my own garden!!! Can anyone name them?

Hosta #1

{{gwi:1102575}}

Hosta #2:

{{gwi:1102576}}

Hosta #3:

{{gwi:1102577}}

Hosta #4:

{{gwi:1102579}}

I will give credits for where the pics came from once the hostas are identified.

Comments (20)

• Janice
    14 years ago

Well, I think one of them, (possibly #2) is possibly 'Radiant Star'
    from 'Radiant Edger' and is introduced by our own 'cytopher' AND,
    I have one!!! Woohoo!!!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Could #3 be 'Tropical Storm'? I didn't think so, really--or is it? :oO

• roblksd
    14 years ago

Hi Don, #4 is H. Glad Rags. Rob

• loisflan
    14 years ago

I agree with Janice that #2 is Radiant Star. I don't know the others, but they are stunners, for sure. Can't wait to get the infomation on them.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great job on identifying hosta #2 and #4. Hosta #3 is NOT Tropical Storm, although it would be great to include that one as a similar plant to those I've shown!

Hosta #2
    Radiant Star, Christopher Wilson (ONR), Hallson Gardens (I) 2007
    Radiant Star is a dark-centered sport of Radiant Edger which was found at Hallson's about 5 years ago. Quoting Chris, "Radiant Edger has a pale green center that becomes medium green towards the end of the year, but the center of Radiant Star is dark green, even a little blue-green in early summer."

A mature clump of Radiant Star should eventually reach the same size as Radiant Edger- about 14" high x 35" wide. Radiant Star went into t/c in 2007, the same year it was registered. The plant will be available next spring.

Here is a link to the pic which I posted:
    Radiant Star pic

Here are links to additional pics:
    Radiant Star pic
    Radiant Star pic

Chris also has another sport of Radiant Edger named Malachite.

Hosta #4
    Glad Rags, R. Lysne (ONIR) 2006
    Glad Rags is a seedling of Sheer Bliss (Sheer Bliss selfed) which will form a clump about 14" high x 20" wide. It's available from Northern Grown Perennials and other sources for $125.

Glad Rags pic

Here are links to additional pics:
    Glad Rags pic
    Glad Rags pic
    Glad Rags on MyHostas Database
    A description and photo of Glad Rags is also posted on the American Hosta Society website here.

Now, any guesses for Hosta #1 or Hosta #3???

• countrygarden01
    14 years ago

Hello,
    #1 a sport of Little Aurora, doesn't look like Little Sunspot though.
    #3 Tropical Storm, too small to be Mount Tom if the sizes are similar, maybe a small Linda Sue

• countrygarden01
    14 years ago

#3 Could also be a small Sara's Sensation; the same plant as Linda Sue

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope ...#1 and #3 have not yet been identified...I don't think they get as large as Mount Tom, Sara's Sensatiom, or Linda Sue.

• Janice
    14 years ago

Do #1 and #3's margins stay yellow throughout the season?

janice

• toymr2mk2
    14 years ago

How about Valleys Glacier for #3?

• roblksd
    14 years ago

I know that #1 is from Holland. I am going crazy. I can't think of the name.

• countrygarden01
    14 years ago

Christmas Pageant?

• roblksd
    14 years ago

#1 is H. Moon Split. Rob #3 I am requesting a clue. The photo is a little off. I thought it might be Hawyeye. Rob

• User
    14 years ago

#1 - Pixie Vamp
    #3 - Spinich Souffle

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rob...how in the world did you get that one???

Hosta #1
    Moon Split, Danny Van Eechaute ONI (Not Registered)

Introduced by Danny Eechaute of Belgium, Moon Split is a sport of Velvet Moon. (Velvet Moon, a sport of Abiqua Moonbeam that was introduced by Hansen/Naylor Creek in 2004.) Moon Split should be a medium size plant, like Velvet Moon.

Moon Split

Here is a link to additional pics:
    Moon Split

Hosta #3-
    NO CORRECT GUESSES SO FAR! This plant is still very expensive. A single division was offered for sale last year for $350 by the nursery which introduced it (it sold quickly). Another division was offered this fall for $295, which sold quickly also. Here is what the description says:

"S/M - This outstanding plant is a sport of Obscura. It has wide yellow/gold margins on shiny medium green leaves. Named for our first granddaughter, it is as vigorous as she, but is slow to reproduce."

• countrygarden01
    14 years ago

Sydney's Spunk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• roblksd
    14 years ago

Great job Country Garden ! Don thought he had us on this one. Rob

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Sydney's Spunk is right! Thank you all for playing!

Hosta #3
    Sydney's Spunk, Keller ONIR 2007

Introduced by Robert Keller of White Oak Nursery in Metamora, Illinois.

The registration form says Sydney's Spunk gets 10" high x 12" wide, which is somewhat smaller than Fortunei Obscura which can get 20" high x 48" wide. Another interesting characteristic is that it doesn't set seeds, according to the registration.

Sydney's Spunk pic

This looks like a great hosta...does anyone have it or seen it???

Keller has introduced a few other plants you might be familiar with: Brenda's Beauty, Finn's Finest, Janet's Joy, Liam's Luck, Robert's Rapier, and Valerie's Vanity. Notice that all of his hosta titles are two words, with the first word being someone's name?

Keller's introductions

• tahota
    14 years ago

No. 3 Summer Breeze?

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Tahota I think #3 was correctly id'ed as Sydney's Spunk.
    Summer Breeze is a cool hosta though, probably one of my top three favorites.

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America