Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aahostas

The four finalist for the 2012 Hosta Of The Year

aahostas
14 years ago

We did good!

The four finalist(Due to a three way tie for second place) are......

'Guardian Angel'

'Liberty' pp# 12,531

'Rainforest Sunrise'

'Touch of Class' pp# 13,080

Please choose one and post it by January 7th, 2010 so I can get the vote to the A.H.G.A.by the 8th.

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions.

Denny

Comments (47)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

Mine's for 'Rainforest Sunrise'.

Pieter

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

My preference also.
    Of the four listed, it is the best performer in my garden.

• mary52zn8tx
    14 years ago

I really, really like Liberty, but it is slow. Rainforest Sunrise is the best grower for me, too. Another vote for it.

• bluepoppy
    14 years ago

'Liberty' ..........fingers crossed.

• idiothe
    14 years ago

TOC for me...

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Have all of them and like them all, GA and Liberty are the top two of the four for me.

I choose Liberty.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    14 years ago

Liberty for me.

• hostared
    14 years ago

Liberty
    And put a vote in for Papou...it was his favorite!

• aahostas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hostared,
    It would be an honor to do so..

Denny

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    14 years ago

This is a wonderful list of finalists, making it hard to choose. But last year, I was for Liberty, and still think it deserving. And I also share hostared's sentiments. I think we should do this for Papou.

Steve

• loisflan
    14 years ago

I have all four, and Rainforest Sunrise is the best performer for me so far. It's also a beautiful hosta. It gets my vote.

• User
    14 years ago

Liberty is magnificent!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Have them and love them all, but---for Papou, I agree that it would be so nice
    if it won and it is a very 'win-worthy' choice! :o)

• compostmaniac
    14 years ago

How many times can I vote? In the front partially sunny garden my vote goes to Guardian Angel. It's huge and gorgeous! In the back garden, shadier by comparison, I love Liberty. It is eye catching! TOC-like June, well you just can't beat it. I have a new one on my 2010 list-Rainforest Sunrise-would get it just for the name.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I vote for TOC. I love it and can't wait to see what it does this coming year!

My second choice would be Liberty.

Cynthia

• turkeyguy
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise gets my vote, although Liberty is a nice hosta and would be my 2nd choice.

Dale

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise gets my vote.
    TOC and Liberty are very slow growing and GA, unlike it's parent; BA, turned out to be a wimp for me. I've tried several over the years, at different locations in the garden, with the same disappointing results.

• glosgarden
    14 years ago

All beautiful hostas..... but "Rainforest Sunrise" grows best by far in Mississippi.

• toymr2mk2
    14 years ago

I will go for Liberty both for sentimental reasons and because I just plain love it a little more than the rest!

• trudy_gw
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise...the others are slow growers, but nice.

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Don't have any, but Liberty,so give me Liberty!! Phil

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

I have Three of the four nominated hosta, Guradian Angel, Touch of Class, and Liberty.

So my vote goes with Rainforest Sunrise. Simply because I want to help the ecomomy by buying this one. LOL
    That's logical don't you think Denny!!!

Connie

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

I've got 3 of the 4 (don't have TOC). Tough call.. hmmm. I'll vote for Liberty with GA as runner up.

Alexis

• aahostas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Connie,
    Thank you for supporting your local "Hosta Dealer"!It is kinda like a Hosta Stimulas package!LOL!

Denny

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

I have all four and love them all, but 'Rainforest Sunrise' is the best grower of the four, have to go with that one.

• tahota
    14 years ago

I don't have Rainforest Sunrise yet. I'm thinking about ordering it this spring. I found it on the web for $7.50. Anyone heard of this company?

Here is a link that might be useful: Provenance Gardens?

• naal
    14 years ago

I have all three except Rainforst Sunrise. Touch Of Class is beautiful but an extremely s-l-o-w grower, but I love it so much I have two. Guardian Angel I've had only a year, but it has gotten HUGE and the variation is quite lovely. Liberty is absolutely gorgeous - it glows! It's a faster grower than TOC, but not as good as GA. I'm hoping this coming year it'll take off and eventually be comparable to my incredible Sagae.

With all that said, I'd have to give my vote to Libery, not only for anticipation of it becoming an awesome hosta, but in honor of Papou, a man who touched many on this forum.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

May I request pictures of the nominees? I know, if I need a picture, I shouldn't be voting.

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise

Touch of Class

Maybe someone else will post a mature Guardian Angel and Liberty. Mine are too young yet to give a good representation.

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Your Rainforest Sunrise is beautiful Lois. Such tough leaves, mine was slug eaten this year.

• jennaj_z4mn
    14 years ago

My vote is for Liberty--one of my favorites!!!

• greenguy
    14 years ago

• Jennifer Schwarz
    14 years ago

Liberty! :)

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

I did not know Papou but I feel it would be a great thing to have his favorite for Hosta of the year.

I also love Liberty that helps.

If my vote counts I vote Liberty.

• tepelus
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise gets my vote.

Karen

• User
    14 years ago

They all are such good ones and since I can't have Alex Summers, my vote goes to Papou's Liberty.

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

I vote for Liberty!

I can not wait for mid-April to start looking for all my Hostas to show up slowly, especially the two Liberties, and the Guardian Angel, do not have the other two.

I wish you and your hostas all a great 2010!

P.S.: why are we voting two years ahead for 2012?

• kentstar
    14 years ago

That's what I was wondering just now too! I never noticed that the first time I read this post! lol

• aahostas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It takes two years to get them to a sellable size.....Unless you go with other opinions, then I guess it takes two years for the growers to gather all of their surplus and force them on the mainstream.

Denny

• goldedger
    14 years ago

Mostly lurking these days, do I still get to vote??

If so, I vote for Liberty - it's beautiful, the two I have seem hardy (one is a division from the first) and I think it qualifies for the ten foot rule. It would be nice for Papou's fave to be named Hosta of the Year.

• alanis
    14 years ago

I vote for Liberty.....I think it's the most beautiful hosta I have!!

• gardengirl_nancy
    14 years ago

I have a Touch of Class that I just love, but for Papou I will vote "LIBERTY". Nanc

• bunnycat
    14 years ago

They all are worthy nominees. Won't be disappointed no matter which one wins. Still am puzzled by last year's winner, however...Praying Hands........

• becky_ia
    14 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise by far....becky

• roblksd
    14 years ago

I predict that H.Rainforest Sunrise will be named H.O.Y. for 2012. I vote for Liberty. Rob

• aahostas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You Everyone,
    Looks like 'Liberty' is our nominee.I will submit it and let you all know when I get the results.Happy New Year and Happy Hosta Growing in 2010!

Denny

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

While it wasn't my personal choice, I'm very glad to see Papou's favourite Hosta is the forum's selection. It would be a fitting tribute to his contributions to the Hosta community to see 'his' Liberty rise to the top like this.

Pieter

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County