Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outdoor_girl

Rhubarb

outdoor-girl
16 years ago

Anyone in the region successful at growing rhubarb? We're right on the Mo/Ark border, and I'd really like to try some. However, my last try was unsuccessful, and my mom has tried for two years without success (and she's two hours north). My grandpa could grow the heck out of it, and we're just wondering what we're doing wrong? We're both putting it in rich composted soil, north sides of buildings.

Are we just rhubarb stupid? :)

Comments (6)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Well, if you are rhubarb stupid, so am I! I have tried so many darned times it's embarrassing. My Mom and Dad had a patch 30 years and so did my grandma. Mine start out looking good and then, rot. I may not try again.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

From Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening;

Rhubarb-(Rheum)
    Rhubarb, interestingly enough is the only vegetable that replaces fruit in our diet. Remember the stalks only are used for eating. the leaves contain large amounts of calcium oxylate, a poison,which can cause death. Rhubarb does contain vitamin A and C plus iron and calcium.

Culture;
    Several root divisions will be enough to start a good clump for the average family.
    Each division should have at least one bud. Rhubarb plants which have become old are improved by being divided. After about 5 years in one place the plants deteriorate and the stalks become thin and short. The clumps should then be dug up,divided and replanted. It is simply a matter of digging them up ,cutting them into good-sized divisions with a knife and planting them again. New growth will soon start.
    One point to remember-rhubarb requires a good rich soil so the more compost and rotted manure you give them the better they like it. Before planting the divisions,enrich the ground;then regular feeding from year to year is required.
    A good plan is to heap compost,manure or both around the plants in the fall and dig it in when spring comes.
    Fall or spring planting may be done. Many prefer fall planting in Sept.as the plants are well established and in the spring you may have some to harvest. By the second and third year you can expect a full harvest. Dig the soil thoroughly and incorporate plenty of organic fertilizer before planting the divisions. Set the roots 3 or 4 inches deep and allow 3 or 4 feet between plants. Be sure to firm soil well around each crown.
    Cut out flowering growths as they take nourishment away from the plants and reduce vigor. You can grow rhubarb anywhere,although cool seasons and freezing weather are more to its liking.

Hope this helps. I've never grown Rhubarb.
    vickie

• gldno1
    16 years ago

vickie, I planted my last one at the edge of my compost pile. It was a huge growing plant I got at a local nursery. She dug up the entire thing. It lived for a while and then slowly disappeared. I read somewhere they are very susceptible to root rot. The next one, if I try again, will be in a flower bed.

• outdoor-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I think both mom and I will try again...she thinks she planted hers too late, and I have a feeling mine is a problem with dirt and location. We'll see!

Let me know if you have luck, gldno1.

• pomonaflower
    16 years ago

Back in Wisconsin I had two huge rhubarb clumps. We dug it up with a back hoe when we dug for an addition and they just dumped it on the east side of the house. The only thing I ever did to or for it was to cut the seed pods as soon as I spotted them, and harvest it. I have enuf in my freezer to last us another five years!!

Kinda wish I'd had time to dig one of the clumps and bring it with me. Same old story - too much to do and too little time to do it. I grabbed a couple of my special hostas, a few iris and lilly corms and baggies full of seeds. Never gave the rhubarb a thought.

• rita_from_mo
    16 years ago

Well then my parents must be doing somthing right .The garden is on a hill side in town .The top end is where they put the manure then they have RXR ties and then the rhubarb.This way it is self feeding and well drained.They also after planting.Did not tuch the plant for 2 years.3rd spring/summer they took enough for 2 pies .That was 10 years ago and from that planting they have more than enough for pies and canning.Hope this helps
    Rita