Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank_10b

Best books on Western New England gardening?

frank_10b
15 years ago

Would like to focus on perennials, bulbs, flowering plants, fruit trees, native plants but whatever you think is good please let me know. I am new to this climate.

Comments (3)

• runktrun
    15 years ago

Armitage's Manual of Annuals, Biennials, and Half-Hardy Perennials by Allen Armitage
    Armitage's Native Plants for North American Gardens by Allen Armitage
    Garden Insects of North America by Whitney Cranshaw
    The Well Tended perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust
    Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr ***Think an updated version is due out around now for xmas
    kt

• asarum
    15 years ago

The New England Gardener's Book of Lists by Karan Davis Cutler is a starting off point. She asked New Englanders involved in various horticultural endeavors to make lists for her with recommendations for all types of plants. I don't have the book with me, but my memory is that there is a short intro at the top of the page that explains who the person making the recommendations is. I used the book when I was looking for a tree to plant in my front yard. There was a chapter devoted to trees with lists of various types of trees including the list I used for short trees (I didn't want my hourse overshadowed by something too big).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I liked the 'NE Gardener's Book of Lists'. I have also had a number of books out by William Cullina of the New England Wildflower Society that are very much aimed at New England gardeners. His book 'Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines' was very helpful which introduced me to lots of plants I was unfamiliar with. He has a new book out, 'Native Ferns, Mosses and Grasses'.

I have out from the library right now a book called: 'A Massachusetts Gardener's Companion : an insider's guide to gardening from the Berkshires to the Islands' by Barbara Gee. I am finding that book has given me a lot of new information and lots of reminders of information I already knew. It is always great to find a book that has a focus that is so specific to your area.

If you are trying to raise vegetables, you are in a colder zone then I am here in Eastern Massachusetts, and would be able to profit from Eliot Coleman's books even more than I have. His book 'Four Season Harvest' has a wealth of creative ideas for extending the season and tons of experience with organic growing. I have a great respect for the work both he and his wife, Barbara Damrosch have accomplished. I recently saw her featured on 'Cultivating Life' and her perennial garden has become even more beautiful since the last time I saw it. She has a new book out called 'The Garden Primer'. I suggest both of these authors although they do live in Maine, because they are probably dealing with the same hardiness zone.

pm2