Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outdoor_girl

Gregg Farm Services - never shopping there again!

outdoor-girl
16 years ago

I don't usually get in a tiff over stuff like this, but I was recently treated so badly by a Mountain Home area business, I thought it was worth posting.

The past week I've been working on finishing up a chicken coop. And, with a little help from dad, made great progress, but we ended up changing the design a bit and I ended up short on 1"x1/2" 16 gauge welded wire. Three weeks ago everyone had it, and now NOBODY has it in stock. I spent quite a while calling around to area farm supply stores, from West Plains to Bull Shoals to Yellville with no luck...soonest restocking would be next week.

I finally called Gregg Farm Services west of Mountain Home. The lady I talked to was nice, and after I told her what I was after, she put me on hold for a while to go see if they had it in stock. Upon returning, she told me they had two different widths in stock. I told her I'd be coming to pick some up. I called hubby to ask if he needed anything, and he said he'd ordered 250 lbs. of buckwheat from them, and they'd called to tell him it was in, and I could pick that up too.

I'm located up by the Missouri line northeast of Mountain Home, so the drive took about 45 minutes. Long way to drive for wire, but worth it to me to finish the coop before next week. I walked in the store and asked for the wire, and was told by the SAME LADY that she was sorry, they had NONE IN STOCK. I asked why she'd told me they had it, and she said, "well...I didn't know when you were coming in." I said I'd told her I was getting some TODAY, so why did she tell me it was in stock??? I'd specifically said that I wanted to make sure it was in stock so I didn't waste a trip!!! She just said she was sorry, and called the manager (or owner, not sure what he was exactly) over to see when they'd get more. He said next week. I told him I had called specifically to make sure they had it in stock, and was told it was. He said he was sorry for the mixup, and he'd have a guy meet me out in the yard to make sure.

I was not happy, but I asked if I could at least pick up the seed my husband had ordered so my trip was not totally wasted. They said they would find the invoice while I was out with the yard guy looking for wire, and have it ready to load up.

I met the yard guy out where they kept the wire, and he told me they hadn't had any of what I was looking for in a month! I told him what had happened, and he just shook his head.

I returned to the store, where the two ladies working the counter looked at me blankly. I asked "well...can I pick up the seed???", to which one replied, "oh...well...we're sorry...but we must have gotten your order mixed up. We don't have any seed."

I said, "You're kidding me. Let me get this straight...I called to make sure you had wire...you told me you did...and you don't. You told my husband his seed was in...and now it's not."

"We're sorry."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

At that point I figured I was fighting a losing battle...the manager was right there and he obviously didn't care that I'd driven 45 minutes, wasting gas and a beautiful day, to be treated like they didn't care if I was a customer or not. I had also intended to get chick starter, a large waterer, and dog food, but I wasn't about to buy anything else from them. It was bad enough we'd already paid for the seed!

I left in a pretty bad temper, heading back to Mountain Home and called hubby. He called Gregg back, and apparently they DID have the seed in, but they "got the invoices mixed up" and they said I could DRIVE BACK AND PICK IT UP. I told hubby to tell them they cane either deliver the seed to me in town since I was running other errands, or refund our money. They finally sent a kid in to deliver the seed to me.

Like I said, I don't usually get in a tizzy over things like this - people make mistakes. But it's the not even CARING or ATTEMPTING to make it right that really got me. Perhaps I should've thrown a bigger fit, or demanded the seed and wire (when it came in) delivered to our house, but I was too angry and dumbfounded to think past getting out of there.

I don't care if I have to drive to Springfield to get welded wire...if Gregg is the only place who has it, I'm not buying so much as a scrap from them.

Comments (7)

• gldno1
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would have been in more than a tiff! I think you showed remarkable restraint.

I hope you can find the wire somewhere else.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

You are a better woman than me. I know I would have lost it and started ranting at the manager. He would have delivered it to my home or refund. they could have offered to ship the wire to you or refund your gas price for their mistake. I don't know what would have made me happy but something.
    Bonnie

• outdoor-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I guess in hindsight I should have demended more...but at the time I was a bit bumfuzzled! Hubby gave them a chewing they won't soon forget, though. Anyway, while at the in-laws this weekend, we found enough of the wire at Inman Feed in Doniphan for 30 chicken coops...and nice helpful folks to boot.

• seedsonshirt
    16 years ago

Next time anyone in the area is looking for wire fencing products, the best kept secret in Mountain Home is Evans Building Supply. They have the best prices I've found on steel fencing.

But back to Gregg Farm supply... I have a kind of love/hate feeling towards them. I would like to use them and nobody else for the fact that they carry so many items that the other farm stores don't, especially organic fertilizers. But it's hot or cold with them. I have at times had similar experiences as you described, and at other times they have come through when the others weren't willing to try. Such is life...

My SIL told me just yesterday that she called them and asked if they had pullets, and the guy said "no" and hung up on her before she had a chance to ask when they would have them. Since he was rude, she just went to Orshelns and bought 35 of them.

I was at Gregg one time wanting to buy $300.00 worth of grass seed. They were too busy chatting on the phone (apparently a personal call) to bother with me, so I took my money elsewhere...

• outdoor-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip on fencing, seeds. We're definately going to check out Evans for our other fencing needs.

I've since heard other bad stories associated with Gregg's, so at least I know it's not just me! And many others seem to have the same love/hate relationship. I guess they count on having what people need/want for business rather than customer service.

• cvd14
    14 years ago

I feel so bad for the lady coming all the way down here from Missouri only to get shafted by these people.

I only live about 1 mile from them which made it convient for me. I needed some work done on my weedeater and riding tractor mower.

Last fall before putting the weedeater away for the year, I took it to the tractor and mower building at GREG'S FARM SERVICES to be weatherized, have all new gas lines replaced and have them order a new bump cap for me. 3 months later I finally got my weedeater back. The man (no names) in the shop TOLD ME IT WAS FIXED AND WORKING GOOD!!!! I paid for their services and left. When the time came to use my weedeater in the first part of spring, I couldn't get it to start to save my life and it was seeping gas down the gas lines. I took it back explaining the problems. The man told me I was trying to start it wrong.

I HAVE HAD THIS WEEDEATER FOR 4 YEARS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO START IT!! COME ON!!!! Again left it at the shop and told him I'd be waiting for him to call when it was working properly and not leaking gas down the lines. A week later he calls and says it's ready to go, works great and he used it behind their building. So home it goes again with his instructions on how to start it. I tried it his way. It did start, but it wouldn't stay running. So I take it back again and told this guy it wouldn't stay running and the gas was still leaking down the fuel lines like before.

By now I'm really getting ticked off.

3 weeks go by & he didn't call me. I called him. He said he forgot to call. Ok, I'll give his the benefit of doubt.

I went down and picked it up for the 5th time I had to take it back again. I used my weedeater for about 15 - 20 feet and the brand new fuel line fell out of the gas tank. I re-attached the fuel line to the tank, started it up again (my way) and the lines pop out again after about the same distance cutting. OK, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

I went down there, found the man I'd been dealing with for several months now and blew my top.

He looked at me and asked "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT?" He looked down at my legs seeing the grass on me from what little I was able to cut before loosing all of my gas and said, "LOOKS LIKE IT'S WOKING TO ME!"

If I told him once, I repeated myself several times, "The line WON'T stay in the tank"

He then proceeds to tell me there is supposed to be a washer on the inside of the tank to hold the line and he didn't have one to put in it when I first brought it in.

I LOST IT! I BLATENTLY ASKED HIM 'WHY DID YOU SEND IT HOME WITH ME THE FIRST TIME KNOWING FULL WELL THAT IT WASN'T FIXED RIGHT?"

He started jumping all over me saying he was sick and tired of people taking things out on him. He then said, Leave it, we'll fix it.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

And at this time they have my riding tractor mower. I couldn't help wonder what shape it would be in. All that was supposed to be done to it was change the oil, sharped the 3 blades, put on a brand new gas tank and level the deck.
    I got it back the same day as my weedeater a week later for the umpteeth time. They did sharpen the blades, put a new gas tank on and change the oil. BUT......My mower is missing the center blade,(out of the 3 blades it had on it when I sent it down there) the deck is all screwed up and the housing cover over the left pully has been BROKEN off instead of unscrewed. I KNOW IT CAN BE UNSCREWED BECAUSE I TOOK IT OFF ABOUT A YEAR AGO TO REPLACE THE MAIN DRIVE BELT MYSELF! Now I have to find someone who knows how to weld it back on. OH....the screws are still on it by the way.

I guess it's true that if a woman goes to have something mechanical repaired ALL guys think we're stupid and don't know what we're talking about. If a woman can describe in detail and name the parts by the proper name where is that stupid.

THIS IS NO LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP......IT'S TOTAL HATE!!!

I had no problems what-so-ever when Whitfield's Farm Supply!

I wouldn't even go in there now to buy a dog bone! It would probably be poisoned or something!

• wildlifebuilder_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I had the same problem with gregg`s. I took my Husqvarna riding mower in for the blades to be sharpened,the deck adjusted,and to check out the electrical system,which I was blowing the fuse after it started. They ended up replacing the blades(maybe they needed to be or not, I didn`t see them,now I wished I`d asked), the deck is still not adjusted and the electrical is still blowing the fuse, but they said it all checked out. I am so pissed I`ll never use them again. I`m telling Lowes to find someone else to use for their warranty service, and what gregg`s did to me and you guys too. I`ll just take my laptop with me and show them these posting. I at least hope some of yall will read these before you go to gregg`s for any thing!!!