Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scaldude

Southern California Coconut Palm

scaldude
16 years ago

Because you asked, Andy, here's an update of my Pacific Tall.

Luckily, the only pests I've had are ants who see this wine barrel as a luxury condo, and a hungry grasshopper who made the biggest mistake of his prematurely short life.

Due to this cocos variety, it's on the yellow side already, but it looks good considering it hasn't seen a 60° day for weeks. They don't like wet feet either, so the considerable rain we've received lately, along with the low temps, is a concern.

Comments (12)

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Obviously the heat cables are doin their job if it hasn't seen any 60s for awhile. Keep it up, it looks a lot like my old one before I killed it (I don't mean it's condition I mean it;s size and the way the coconut is being torn apart. Thank you for the updated picture.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Ever considered a light plastic enclosure? would help the heating cables and warm up faster in winter sun. Right now when that small a little cheatin goes a long way..later, a coco with 6' fronds or more is one its way..

• scaldude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I checked weather.com, it shows that the temps have not been that bad, but who knows how long those "highs" were maintained?

Since the middle of January, we've seen 4 days in the mid-70°s, 5 days of high 60°s, then the rain brought a week of 50°s. The "lows" have typically been in the mid 40°s, but it hit 33° one night.

The enclosure is a good idea, I just hope no one at my association whines. So far, the foliage can take the temps, but it gets less sun this time of year. I'll head to HD or Lowes for a fix.

My pineapples are thriving, my plumeria never dropped it's leaves and still has an inflo; it's ready to bloom.

• spockvr6
    16 years ago

Scaldude-

Might that Coconut be a Golden Malayan rather than a Pacific Tall?

• scaldude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's entirely possible, but it's identical to a seedling I brought back from Hawaii. Of course, no one at Home Depot had a clue.

A wholesale nursery in Costa Mesa gets a substantial shipment every spring, I'll ask them where their seedlings are from. I wouldn't be surprised if they supplied HD with mine.

• scaldude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is what I started with...

• andyandy
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure thisis a tall.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

LOOKS GOOD !

• scaldude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called "The Plant Stand", in Costa Mesa, and they said, "yes, we're the local Home Depot supplier."

It's a Panama "Pacific" Tall from a grower in Costa Rica, and they have 80 in-stock right now.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Did you know soucaldude that they make black hard plastic liners for oak half barrels?.To convert barrels into fish ponds.Punch a few drainage holes,line the barrel with some kind of thin insulation,place plastic liner over it..and you have better pot for summer watering and warmer for winter.
    Just an idea.For a second coco maybe?

• scaldude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

stanofh,

ItÂs funny you mentioned those liners. With the bottom cut-out, theyÂre also good for putting in the ground to contain plants that produce suckers/rhizomes.

I can see the practicality of your idea, expanding foam spray would work well as the insulation. Although the wine barrel is not insulated, I stapled a heat cable along the inside. Andy referred to it earlierÂitÂs obviously doing itÂs job.

• bdobs
    16 years ago

Any update on this guy?