Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shesalittlebear

Passiflora FAQ

shesalittlebear
19 years ago

Hi All,

I am very interested in learning more (and eventually growing) passifloras. Can someone please point me to the basics?

When and how to plant

What will do well in Sacramento, CA Zone 9 (I really like the burgundy ones)

Which have best tasting fruit

Which are the best retailers

What are good online resources

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Comments (15)

• shesalittlebear
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Do they do well in containers? If so, what size ?(how many gallons)

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

When and how to plant
    Anytime.

What will do well in Sacramento, CA Zone 9 (I really like the burgundy ones)
    Almost all- I'm in Chico. Biflora & true quadrangularis WILL die if left out all winter. All others so far have lived... Although "whirlygig" may not make it much longer.

Which have best tasting fruit
    I dunno- Frederic is the best so far...

Which are the best retailers
    Um.... Brazil Plants is a good place for seeds...There's some euro sites... I've listed a bunch here...

What are good online resources
    Ebay is sometimes good... 'potato-rock' & 'georgiavines' have been good as well as 'zostrops' (sp?) for live plants.. Seeds as well as long as they're fresh.

You could always beg on the exchange side here as well.

• shesalittlebear
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Krstofer. I really appreciate all of the information.

Cheers.

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

Since I'm still renting and have spent some serious cash & time on these, I grow all mine in containers. Most adult plants are in no bigger than 5 gallon 'nursery' pots- They're sitting right on the ground so the roots of many have grown through the bottom. I moved 3 of my biggest caeruleas last year & had to tear the pots from the ground. This year all rootballs have sent up shoots- The biggest is almost in bloom.

I have one 2 year old who's in a ... 2 or 3 quart pot- I *should* repot it but just haven't gotten to it.

So you can grow them in any size pot really- I put my seedlings in 16oz 'party' cups for a while in the 'green room' under lights. Sometimes the vines get to be several feet long before I get around to moving them outside & repot to gallon size containers.

Just let them go. They'll either root into the ground or become potbound.. When they do it's time to move up a size.

Have fun.

• country_in_the_city
    19 years ago

Great timing on the FAQs!

I am from the south, where passion vines are rampant, but I have now planted a dwarf caerulea. It is about 4 feet tall and came with cane poles on both sides for support. I have a 6 ft tall metal tower that I am going to put over it after I plant. What should I do then? Unwrap the vines from the cane poles?

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

does this brazilplants place take american money??? anyone interested in a co-op purchase (never done one so you'd have to explain to me) this place has so many I want!!!

Dc

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

You can untwist & do with the vines whatever you wish. Pretty easy to unwrap them from 1 support structure & attach them to another. Untill the plant grows a bit... Then it gets more & more tedious..

Mauro (Brazilplants) takes Paypal- Seed packs are $3 each I think. I dropped a fat load of cash there a few weeks ago...

• tiresunltd
    19 years ago

I'm a relitvy new grower and personally have had trouble with the bare root and bagged plants. about a 50 loss and am now staying away from them. I just got some new plants in from a dogwooderritternet off the Ebay. he has been selling what he calls a Passion Flower sampler starting at $16.95 which is what I payed plus shipping. included Amethyst, Belotii, caerulea, Pur Vida Purple, Edulis,and a vitifolia. Nice plants, one was 2feet long and he did a good packing job. Even after the post office lost it for 4 days the plant only need a little water and fresh air to perk right up. they are resting in defused light right now and look like they are anchous to get going.
    Kathy

• MikenGina
    19 years ago

We planted a start of some type, don't know what it it really and it took off. Is trying to capture the south side of the house now!!

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

DANG!!

don't have paypal... ahh well,

Dc

• georgiavines
    17 years ago

There are some many passiflora photos in the gallery on my webpage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Vines

• angie83
    17 years ago

Love your site and your plants Georgiavines is a great place to get healthy passifloras.And I love the free shipping : ).

• chena
    17 years ago

Ebay has some WONDERFUL Passi seed up for auction right now.. Very easy to start from seed..Impower56 has abosolutly beautiful plants and the packaging is great..I have also purchased a couple of plants from GV's..She has a great selection..
    Chena

• georgiavines
    17 years ago

Thank you for your kind comments. Mom loves her garden. She worked in it every hour of the day for 35 years before she ever opened a wesite.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to visit my Garden

• angie83
    17 years ago

Yes I have gottin plants from Impower56 also he is good very fast shipping and healthy plants .I dont have very good luck with passiflora seeds I try to buy plant my seed turn out is poor.

Sponsored