Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevea07

Experiments at the Palm Laboratory

Steve
17 years ago

In an effort to come up with California fan palms that would survive the very high humidity of NW Alabama I did the following and put hundreds of filifera through the ringer!

Seedlings were placed last year into conetainers. I grew them indoors in three inches of water in closed fish tanks under extremely high humidity. Next they were set outside in full day-long sun without sun acclimation in NW Alabama. They have seen multiple days of wind gusts of 37-40 m.p.h. and nightly lows down to 22 F. on multiple occasions. The outdoor humidity this past year has been particularly brutal to filifera. The exceptional survivors are super hardy. They are currently pushing out new split leaves and need to be transplanted into tall gallon size or larger pots. They will explode with growth once potted up, quadrupling their size within six months.

The seed source I used for these was Truth or Consequences, N.M. locale from parent plants that have survived -4 F. These should have a much better chance of surviving wet conditions in the Southeast. For further info please contact me.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath