Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bush39612

Wanted to brighten my dark Red Tuscan kitchen.

bush39612
11 years ago
Love the color Teal and found placemats that were the exact color i wanted for the walls. Matched it up to behr(Cozumel),looked at the samples for 2 weeks,convinced my hubby and Voila-my Vacation kitchen. Love it, and its a very soothing color.

Comments (24)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    A tad too bright for me, lol, but I really like you chandelier and what a great way to introduce color (RED)! I think I would have gone with a much much lighter shade of grey-blue myself.
  • bush39612
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well maggie, to sum up the difference between our design experiences (i stage houses)-LESS is not MORE, but thxs for weighing in.
  • tdelforge
    11 years ago
    A contrasting accent color is badly needed. Way too many accessories & wall plaques.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I personally do not find the intense turquoise and black color scheme soothing, but I applaud your bold choices and personal expression.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    11 years ago
    Hey Bush, I've had a home decor boutique since the late 1990s, have been staging since then and I'm also an interior decorator. It doesn't make me an authority on anything, it's just my experience. I don't 'decorate' a clients home the way I 'stage' a home for resale. My personal style is about form and function, but I go by what clients like. If you like your kitchen that's the way it should be. Will TRY to attach picture of my staged property that sold to the first client to see it. Thanks for your feedback
  • Amber Vercler
    11 years ago
    Bold move! I love teal (so does my hubby), and we put teal blue shades in two of our bedrooms and our guest bathroom. Our Master is a very gray teal--almost more gray than teal, baby's bedroom is a very light teal (think baby blue, but teal) and our guest bathroom is a medium teal (lighter than yours). I am glad you are happy with this look, but it really does look bold, intense, and quite busy. I wouldn't be able to relax and eat in this kitchen. Just my opinion-- take it, or leave it.
  • PRO
    TRS Designs, Inc (Kitchens, Baths, & More)
    11 years ago
    I want to print this photo, but before I do, I'd like to know where I send the bill for our replacement Cyan toner cartridge.
    Very BOLD color choice and if you find it soothing, that's all that matters! Bravo!
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    What about a glass tile backsplash in a complementary mosaic blend? It could incorporate a contrasting accent color and would shine instead of all the accessories on the counter. Just a thought to complete the look! Tile is also easier to clean than a painted wall:)
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI --- I give you credit for a bold effort BUT it is too bright and cluttered . I don't care for things mounted on the bulkhead and the island is too dark and not a fan of the added accents on the front of the island . It's all just too much and I think it is high stress , sorry ! The wall color would have been a better used as an accent color instead .
  • severns
    11 years ago
    Replace sheer curtains with something more up to date. Nix black lettering and counter clutter. I think I would like your kitchen color better with those changes
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    If you love you kitchen, how about completing the look with a beautiful mosaic that ties everything together?
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Glad you love your kitchen!
  • cpdjustice
    11 years ago
    Gross
  • PRO
    Michelle Chamberlain
    11 years ago
    it looks nice but a little bold for the size of the kitchen. If you want to try & tone it down a little you can buy a shade or 2 lighter in the same color family and do some fat stripes or do a sponge faux over it in a little lighter color, Lowe's has some faux painting books you can look through.
  • paigefar
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I don't like the blue, but if you do great. I would take down the black "words" on the walls, simplify
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Doesn't happen too often…I am speechless.
  • Rhonda
    11 years ago
    That doesn't look Teal to me, that's Turquoise! And it's loud!
  • hockey456
    11 years ago
    Not my favorite. There is nowhere to rest the eyes... Just too much stuff and not a great color for a kitchen. If you like it though, party on!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I agree, removing the words alone would do a lot to balance this kitchen. Perhaps Welcome Family could go by the back entry?
  • gullybansal
    11 years ago
    I think people are too anti clutter, think the items and ornimants tell a nice story about you and compliment the country cabinet styling.

The colour goes well but could be broken up a bt, i think the persons comments about the wall tiles bit me somthing you think about. Also very practical.

The only things i don't particularly like are the letters on the wall and the curtains. Also you might want to get lamp shades that compliment the kitchen a bit better they seem a bit of an after thought.

Other than that i think its nice.

But other than that it looks great.
  • Wendy Hamilton
    8 years ago

I agree with everyone about decluttering but I would definitely remove the window treatment, A white faux wood would be a huge improvement and cost very little.

• Jennifer Vance
    8 years ago
    Wendy, this post is 3 years old. I'm sure the homeowner is well past this particular dilemma.
  • Gato Playa
    8 years ago
    Some people like a lot of decor. (I don't but ya Know, that's me.)

What I can't believe is justice up there being so rude. We are all adults, right? Please try to refrain from being hurtful and obnoxious.