Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coug51eh

Help!!! 112 peonies from Lowes.....

coug51eh
16 years ago

Ok---So I was just "asking" the manager about the peony display, and the next thing I know, I was driving home in my caravan with 112 peonies----they were truly everywhere in my van... They are in 1 gallon and 2 gallon containers, and the manager sold them to me for $1.00 per pot. Some have names, some do not. Some have that grey mold all over their leaves, some with black spots inside of their leaves, and some are just nice and green. What do I do now?? Please, in my over-zealousness to have this great peony garden, I fear that perhaps I've taken on quite the job. I need advice. And, I would really like for all of these peonies to survive. They kind of "grow" on you...I would appreciate any and all advice!! I live in Pittsburgh, PA---and if anyone is near-by---there are 3 other Lowes in the area that I am sure would do the same type of year end sale!!! :) Thank you!!!

Comments (8)

• ladys
    16 years ago

Wooeee, that's going to be quite a job, but when you're done it will be spectacular!! I can remember as a child our neighbor use to grow peonies on part of an empty lot, he filled it with peonies, daylilies and roses. The ladies in the neighborhood were so jealous! He was an old bachelor and we kids use to go follow him around and help pick up trash etc. He'd give us each a quarter! That was big money in those days. LOL Please post pictures when you get it all together and when they bloom that is going to be something! :) Great deal!

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Plant like mad starting with the ones that look the worst. My reasoning is that the plants are in pots. If they look healthy now they should stay healthy in the pots even if you have to winter them over. The ugh ones need all of the tender loving care you can provide.

You could before planting cut the tops off and dip the roots in a mild bleach solution. 1-2 tablespoons to a gallon.

Please list the named ones so I can drool.

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Wow, what a deal! Good luck! All I see here is Karl Rosenfield. I bought one and he is very unhappy. But I will be moving him where he will get some shade, if he can just hold out a little longer. Any others that I buy will be ones recommended for the South. Sounds like you got a great deal! Brandy

• coug51eh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for the input!!! Did I tell you?? I will be taking vacation----3 days----and I hope to plant ALL of my peonies. (I feel inspired--about 36 peonies each day, 4 per hour...) I will post the names of the named plants. And, I will try to post a before and after picture!!! Is there any soil ammendment that I should include?? Any suggestions on "how to" plant?? I've already stocked ibuprofen and Alleve in my medicine close!!! Please advise me some more!!! LOL

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Add some of the patches to put on the really painful parts. Some are hot and some are cooling. I like the ones from Salonpas but can't find my favorite in my area. Do not take too much of either ibuprofen or Alleve since they are the same thing. And try not to add chasers with them can damage liver and kidneys.

Plant about 2 1/2 to 3 ft apart. If you have compost include it while digging.

• tooslim
    16 years ago

God, why can't I be that lucky!! 112!!! I'd have my husband digging like a fool :-D
    Hey, Brandy I live in Charlotte NC and I have 5 Sarah Berhardts (my first try at peonies, bargain 5 small bareroots for $12 at Walmart!), took 3 years to mature but they are doing fabulous in the South! So many blooms I give away bouquet after bouquet every Mothers Day to the neighbors. Beautiful double pink...I am zone 7b.

• darlene87
    16 years ago

By now you have most of them in the ground. We got 8 plants from my sisters place when she passed away. A few of them sat in buckets for a few years, and did bloom. I put bulb fertilizer on top of them in fall. They all survived, and now I have divided a few. Good luck to you.
    Darlene

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor