Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Lemurophoenix

lzrddr
10 years ago

Don't get to see too many tropical palms on this forum, so I thought I'd post a nice one you don't get to see everyday. From Floribunda Palms in Hawaii

Comments (10)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Such a beauty! I love the red trunk on it. I wonder how well it would do in parts of Florida? Not a lot of nice palms with colorful trunks down there.
    I'll have to keep this one on my list of palms to plant if I ever get to move down south haha.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer shot of this palm

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THis is an older palm... sort of loses a bit of the brilliance of the younger ones, but still a pretty impressive tree... crownshaft in this plant is about 20' so it is a LOT bigger than it looks. Floribunda palm as well in Hawaii

• restoner
    10 years ago

That's a beauty.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Awesome palms, thanks for sharing.

How many palms made it through winter in your new zone?

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

about half (maybe 20)... but most look like crap. Oh well.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Sucks, hopefully you still have some favorites.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Palms that have high color usually are growing fast. I notice my plain old King palms only get the lime green crownshaft after shedding old brown leaf bases. In our cool climate that means much time is spent looking at it in that phase. And on the internet everybody post photos of their Kings in the green naturally enough.
    I have to be satisfied with the green Howea trunk. I have it where it grew from shade into the sun,and I think thats what preserved the green.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear your palms did not make it out of the winter as well in your new zone. I hope that the ones that did grow back well and the ones that didn't surprise you with coming back and gaining some cold tolerance as they re-establish.

You had a lot of amazing species at your old place!
    Thanks for sharing the mature pic of the Lemurophoenix, that's a beauty!
    -Alex

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Is Washington hardy in the high desert? You have a huge lot,Geoff. Maybe people might think them common,but if you planted 20 or 30 tastefully...that's beauty. A local natural oasis has them (W.robusta),and right now the fronds are as glossy as any Hawaiian palm,even the knee high palms are glossy...the skirts on big ones is eye catching. Interestingly enough,wild CIDP in smaller numbers grow with them and willows.oaks,and Sycamores..and Acacia's with pampas grass. A great place to sit and eat lunch!
    And,you can get plenty of trunking in a lifetime..a bonus to me-lol.