Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Post your Brazorias!

islandbreeze
11 years ago

Just curious how many of us on this board have Sabal Brazoria. If you do, please post a pic. Apparently, they vary among individuals in growth habit. Mine is very droopy, like a palmetto. I've seen pics of others that are rigid and upright like sabal minor.

Comments (14)

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I just started growing these Brazorias this season. A friend of mine near here has a 7 gallon one that had seed stalks from last season. Ironically his palm suffered spear pull in the middle of summer. He was quite surprised that the seeds I harvested ended up sprouting.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That must be nice to have a free source that you can acquire such rare seeds from. Love that blue coloration too.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I do have a few local sources for hardy palm seeds from friend's palms that are seeding, namely windmills, minors and needles. The Brazorias was a surprise. I'll have to check with my friend to see if the parent palm recovered from spear pull. I was surprised it was seeding from a palm only the size of a small minor. The blue color is nice.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

How many years does it generally take for palms to produce seeds?

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

The Brazorias I got seeds from weren't much larger than the ones pictured. Five years for plants in the sabal family? Probably varies greatly from species to another species.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Heres my little guy-just about big enough to take of now-

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Take off,that is.........

• turtile
    11 years ago

It would probably take 8-10 years outside from seed for Sabal (as long as it is water and fertilized well).

• jfacendola
    11 years ago

I potentially have a seed grown Brazoria that is 10 years old (in the ground for 4). This summer it put up four flower stalks, but I chopped them off as it is just finally starting to trunk and I want all of its energy used for upward growth. So, 10 years to produce seed in zone 8. My plant is highly costapalmate and droopy. I had always felt it may just be a regular Sabal palmetto labeled x texensis, until it bloomed without a trunk... Does anybody know if S. palmetto will flower before it starts trunking?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice plant Jim. Hopefully it will grow fast for you. I'm sure once it's established you'll see some optimal growth. Mine averages about 2 fronds per year potted.

Jfacendola, thanks for posting. You reaffirmed that mine could definitely be Brazoria. Mine has always looked different than many of the pictures I've seen, with it's more green color and droopy fronds. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a palm that is more costapalmate and droopy. It always had me questioning authenticity, but I was never really sure what else it could have been.

An interesting cross would be a Brazoria with a Louisiana. Both very cold hardy and both supposedly faster growing sabals, although for me Louisiana seems to be the faster grower.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I recall Gary Hollar (Gary's Nursery) posting pups on another site of seeding palmettos with virtually no trunk.

• jfacendola
    11 years ago

This is what I got as a sabal x texensis busting out of a 7 gallon pot 4 years ago. It was maybe 4 feet tall at the time, and is at least 8ft tall to the tip of the fronds now. The woman I got it from said it had been growing from seed for 6 years. I was never totally convinced that it is anything other than a regualr old S. palmetto, but it really doesn't matter to me either way. I blew my shot to positivly ID it this year by cutting off the flower stalks before they did anything. Next year I will let it flower and go to seed... It could also be a S. mexicana as seeds from them were supposedly commonly sold as Brazoria.... Whatever it turns out to be, it is growing way faster than the S. palmetto I have grown from collected seed. I have 5 year old palmettos that have fronds that are maybe at best 2.5 feet long, and are just starting to buldge a 3 gallon pot....

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice looking palm either way. It does look a lot like a palmetto though...where are you at?

• jfacendola
    11 years ago

Thanks. I'm in SE NC, just north of Wilmington