Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane1527

Pest eating begonias

Diane1527
10 years ago

We just planted a beautiful display of green leaf wax begonias in a shady area under some Ficus trees. Something is pulling the plants out of the soil and taking them away. I am guessing whatever pest is doing this is eating the plants. At any rate, they are missing! Any ideas what could be doing this? We bought a Guardian pest repeller and set it to deer setting but not sure that it's deer. Do raccoons eat wax begonias? Ay other possibilities? Thank you!

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

What about pests of the two legged variety?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How many plants are missing? Are any still there but partially chewed? How often are you checking the area?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I hate to tell you but sonic pest repellants are not very effective despite the all the publicity the manufacturers produce. Scent and/or taste repellants tend to be more effective but even those not 100%.

Did you plant the begonias with any sort of fertilizer like bone or blood meal or other organics? That could be the culprit with raccoons.....they could care less about the vegetation but would dig for the smelly ferts. If that was the case, you should see the plant remains around. Otherwise I'd guess maybe bunnies (if present in your area) or deer. Or as Dorie suggests, possibly humans :-))