pj_orlando_z9b
12 years ago

Some updates from last week.

PALMS FIRST...

trachy in 2009:
{{gwi:1178477}}

same trachy today:
{{gwi:1178478}}

huge fronds. A little disturbed from the Halloween snow but it bounced back nicely. I actually like how it looks like a shrub here:
{{gwi:1178479}}

waggie in 2009:
{{gwi:1178481}}

waggie now:
{{gwi:1178483}}

fall color around Central Maryland:

down the road:
{{gwi:1178485}}

from my front porch:
{{gwi:1178487}}

not all color is a signal for winter. Summer ornamental peppers still going strong:
{{gwi:1178489}}

sunset over Frederick on 11/13. This was a camera phone...I wish I had my SLR to grab a RAW image!:
{{gwi:1178492}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (9)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

PJ,

Gorgeous sunset over Frederick MD!!!

All of your palms have really grown nicely over the past two years!!!

You are doing a great job!!

Congratulations!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Great pics! You got some major growth very quickly from those 2 palms. Did your sabal in the first pic not make it? What kind was it?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Really nice pics! Those trachys grew really fast! I got my trachys in 2009 also and they were just a bit smaller than yours, but they are much smaller than yours today!
    I always thought T. waggies were really cool palms and your pics really make me want to buy one!
    Great job, nice sunset pic!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

You have a gift for photos and palms!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

WOW!
    That Waggie really grew fast-great pictures!

• karate626
    12 years ago

Great pics! They look great! I especially love the waggie. Do they receive any protection in the winter?

T.J.

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Lovely pictures!

• pj_orlando_z9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Funny how staring at the palms each day makes the growth seem so slow but when you take a step back, you realize they grow fast.

islandbreeze...unfortunately, the sabal minor 'mcCurtain' didn't make it. I took the cold like a bullet for 3 years but last year, it just rotted. I've had bad luck with minors. The only one doing well for me is my minor 'Cape Hatteras'. It gets the brunt of our winter winds and made it through the last 2 winters just fine. Very slow growing though especially at the young age. Then again, my minor 'McCurtain' did the same thing for 3 years!

karate626...the only protection I've used is frost cloth and I do turn on the C7 lights underneath for a few weeks in January. It seems that each Jan, we get one full week of below freezing temps. Wind does a lot more damage for me than cold. I'll be curious how the waggie does this year. I've never had damage until this past winter, when it started forming a trunk. I suspect any above ground trunking is more susceptible to cold.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

You must have that Waggie in a nice spot(-;

I am always surprised(when I look at old pictures)at
    how much stuff grows over time as I miss it day to day.

Even though the trunk gets more exposed as Trachys age they
    also become much more hardy...you got a good Waggie there!

To me,this is a fun time of year as it is just my palms/cactus
    now and they can be truly enjoyed for what they are.......COLD HARDY.((-:

Click here for forecast