Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Best places to order coconut palms?

us_marine
11 years ago

Does anyone know of a place that sells coconut palms that arn't too pricey, that don't come bare root (never have luck when shipped like that) and ship to california? Most sites can't ship to california.

I can find small coco's at local stores every now and then but I'm intrested in trying a certain variety. Most I can find are Golden Malayan and sometimes Green Malayans. But I would like to try the Fiji Dwarf. From what I've read it is a supposed to be a true dwarf. And being so small and fruiting/trunking at such a small height it would be perfect. Especially if I had to fit it in a green house one day.

Thanks,

- US_Marine

Comments (7)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

at what size is is supposed to fruit?

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure. I'm guessing at least around the same height/age the malayan dwarf does but probably sooner. Which for the malayan dwarf is around 4-8 years but really that all depends on many things like climate.

Its only supposed to have a height of 15-25ft. Thats small enough that you can get many years of fruit with in arms reach. Also small enough you might get fruit in a large container but if not thats small enough to fit in a green house. Especially if you can get it to lean a little.

- US_Marine

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I have seen some very large pot grown jelly palms layed on there side in the greenhouse all winter with no problems and sat right back out in the spring upright so its def possible.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

My understanding is that the dwarfs start fruiting much earlier, but eventually they end up tall.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ miketropic- Something like that was what I was thinking. Interesting how that can work. All you would need to do is make a green house long enough.

@ tropicbreezent- I believe that holds true for all the varieties except the Fiji Dwarf. Its supposed to be a true dwarf reaching max height around 15-30ish ft. The others are only semi-dwarf, reaching about 60ft (which is still pretty tall) compared to the talls that reach 100ft.

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Some Vietnamese famers near here have lots of dwarfs along their property front. Don't know which variety but suspect Malay Golden. They look great, loaded with fruits hanging at about head height. I've often been tempted to borrow a few (or more), sort of long term. There's always lots of coconuts just laying on the ground.

A couple of my tall ones only just started fruiting this year, at 20 metres tall. Unfortunately they're in the garden, not a good place to have coconuts raining down from that height. I may have to cut them out unless there's something I can inject them with to make them sterile. That would be good.

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

Try looking on Ebay. About a year ago, I saw some ads for coconuts and I think some sprouted nuts from a grower in Hawaii that had Fiji Dwarfs.