Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

Happy New Year! End of year pics

bradleyo_gw
13 years ago

Took some pics today as we finally rose above the freezing mark yesterday for the 5th day of the month. Snows a melting, however it will turn colder soon enough, at least it should be seasonal.

This was my aucuba the other day at 20F. Has looked this way for weeks. It perked up as soon as it got above freezing but apparently I forgot to take the picture. It's pretty much flawless, you'll have to trust me on that.

Osmanthus Goshikii in the heavy frost. Also forgot to take a pic today. Also no damage noted so far.

Edith Bogue today, a little damage but looking pretty good. I hit some of my BLE's with the near end of my frost-Pruf, and an unexpected light shower popped up out of nowhere.

Basjoo protection-bags of shredded leaves

Xeric bed

Oleander unexoectedly not completely brown

Backyard, protecting Sabal palmetto, needle, 2 minors and a chinese fan.

2nd winter in the ground

Bay leaf that came back from the ground this year.

I believe this is gloriosa in my best microclimate, right near the vent that spews warm air. Snow never stays here.

View from my front porch and my chair. You can see where I cut the outline of the new bed on the left.

Charlie peeking through the viburnum

Comments (3)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Your plants are looking great! Any idea on the type of oleander you have (such as a more cold tolerant one) because it looks pretty great considering the cold that it must have seen! I have a protected oleander (and probably one of the more tender ones). Other than looking a little crushed from being in its protection, it looks perfect! They are really nice plants!
    I always wanted to try a Y. gloriosa. They deserve to be a lot more commonplace than some other common yuccas around here! Looking forward to seeing the results and some summer pics too!
    Have a safe and happy 2011!
    -Alex

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The oleander is the variety they sell at WalMart on clearance when it has a touch of scale and is potbund. I realized today that technically I protected the oleander because I sprayed it with Wilt-Pruf late last month. I'd like to hit it again before it turns cold again.

I killed a gloriosa last year with no protection or special siting. It was buried under snow and ice for upwards of 3 months. This one hasn't had snow on it for more than a day because all of the snow on the ground is melted around it. We only had 7" of snow in December, it will be gone tomorrow, but it's been consistently cold, 10 straight and then 12 straight days below freezing with a monthly low of 8. Could've been worse.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

We got about 9 inches MORE than the yearly average of snowfall in 24 hours! Nearly 30 inches of snow which is a record for my area. Fortunately one area of my yard managed to have no snow left on the ground. It must have been the way the wind was blowing because there are other areas in the yard with 6 foot tall snow drifts (now melted down to 5 foot tall snow drifts!)
    My oleander had some aphids, but fortunately I was able to get rid of them (and see a few ladybugs that wanted to help.
    Some people say snow cover helps protect plants, but it seems like just the opposite in my opinion!
    Happy New Year!
    -Alex