Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ba1959nh

How to Propagate Creeping Charlie (Pilea nummulariifolia)

ba1959nh
16 years ago

I have a nice Creeping Charlie (Pilea nummulariifolia) variegated that I would love to propagate so I have more plants. Does anyone know how best to do this?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (5)

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

Just trim off runners and replant.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i have been looking for a creeping charlie since i was little and we lived in germany, in kansas, their idea of creeping charlie is not a creeping charlie!! LOL if you feel like sharing, would you share with me??

• maidinmontana
    16 years ago

I got a few, very few cuttings from my brother in law last April 2006, stuck them in water and within a few weeks they were ready to put in soil, I have given several cutting to 4 friends, and they have all grown nicely for them too. Here is a pic of the mama plant. I keep it trimmed so it will be unifrom, mine sits in front of an east window where it gets lots of morning sun. I also have one started in a different pot that I just stuck cuttings in the soil and kept very wet ( clay pot with a drip pan under it, kept water in the drip pan constantly and it is big too) Here it is.

Charlie
    {{gwi:87183}}

• urbanhousewife
    10 years ago

I'm posting this 7 years too late but, this thread pops up very high in the google rankings for "creeping charlie" or Pilea so I just wanted to make an identification correction for the plant in the photo above. The plant pictured in the photo is actually a Swedish Ivy or "Plectranthus australis" it is NOT a Pilea. Hope that helps anyone in their future identification searches online.

Here is a link that might be useful: This person posted under correct ID 2 YRS Later

• Dianne Miller
    6 years ago

A couple of years ago someone gave me 3 short cuttings. I had no idea what to do so I simply put them in soil and watered them often. From those 3 short cuttings I now have 2 huge plants and 5 smaller plants and have 2 babies that I am tending to give as gifts. In each planting, all I did was cut a runner and stick it in soil. It is the only plant I have ever had that made me feel like I have a green thumb!