Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crassula_gw

Echeveria and Haworthia propagation

crassula
16 years ago

Hello,

Crassula are mostly what I work with, however, yesterday I stopped at Lowe's and noticed they had these very poor looking Echeveria and Haworthia. They were marked down to $1 so I thought I might be able to help them out. And so my question begins.

The Haworthia had 4 pups that hadn't rooted, so I just unpotted the plant and with a very sharp knife cut the pups right at the growth point. The Echeveria on the other han had two new plants growing out from the stalk(would you call the main stem a stalk?). The new plantlets are small, maybe quarter size. Didn't know if any of these would root. They were left out to dry for a bit then inserted into a dry potting medium.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do next. I can root a crassula leaf no problem, but these are a differant ball of wax. The Echeveria is a hybrid 'Blue Heron', and the Haworthia is just a window-pane plant(dwarf rosettes)

Thanks for your any advice your willing to share with me.

Branden

Comments (3)

• crassula
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe this might be better called rooting pups and cuttings!

• dampflippers
    16 years ago

Echeveria are usually very easy to root- either a pup and bit of stem inserted into the soil will almost certainly root, or take off a leaf, lay that on the compost and it will soon grow roots and then a little baby.
    Experiment with both, but keep the main stem until your new ones are established.

• crassula
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tnank you! I will most certainly do that.
    Branden

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living