Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
griseum

Grafting/budding on Acer grandidentatum

griseum
18 years ago

Does anybody know if any tree - any tree - will graft onto Acer grandidentatum (Bigtooth Maple)? I live in northern Utah where the soil is not only saline but alkaline (7.5-8.5). The Bigtooth can handle this situation. But, it's not an attractive tree. For a research project at school I want to try several Acer species to see if we can get an attractive tree that can handle our situation. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• ron48
    18 years ago

These are as indicated but I don't have anything on PH.

If you unite (graft or bud) any of the related ssp. will the grandidentatum root stock be able to convert nutrients into a useable food product? or will the ph be to much of a difference to over come. This is assuming that the other related trees grow and thrive at a lower ph.

Just a thought.

A. saccharum ssp. saccharum
    A. ssp. floridanum
    A. ssp. grandidentatum
    A. ssp. leucoderme
    A. ssp. nigrum
    A. ssp. ozarkense
    A. ssp. skutchii
    A. var. rugelii
    A. var. schneckii
    A. var. sinosum

• griseum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, my question wasn't very clear. Acer grandidentatum can handle a pH between 6.0-8.0 and remain attractive. Its fall color is brilliant. Out here we see hues between yellow to orange to red to maroon - even on the same tree. But, it is not what I would call ornamental because it is large.

We can plant ornamental trees out here. But, they struggle and lose a lot aesthetically. Maybe they are chlorotic or because they are weak, bugs or disease attack them. The Bigtooth Maple (A. grandidentatum) is attractive. But, it is big. It's not what I would call an ornamental tree. I save the term for something smaller with habits such as weaping; or flowers. These are the kinds of attributes I hope to use as scion wood.

I thought that the Bigtooth, or even Boxelder (A. negundo) would provide a good rootstock to handle the pH situation while grafting on something ornamental. That is hoping that the scion will not effect the pH tolerance of the rootstock. Also, like Ron48 alluded to, most grafts/buds will only take within its own species. So, that leaves the list you provided me. All of these are thought to be within the Sugar Maple species (A. saccharum). But, they are all large, less ornamental.

I found online a successful graft with the Arizona Walnut (Juglans major). This crosses the genus barrier. Also, many apple (Malus sp.) orchards graft onto a quince rootstock. Again, a different genus. So, these give me hope. I'm going to look more into the list you provided. Thank you. But, it looks like my best hope here would be a cultivar. At school (I'm a student at Utah State), we have a small orchard of Bigtooth that is being used as a research project trying to select various cultivars. We have a few that have selected autumn colors like only yellow, or only maroon. These are great. I think I need to wait on a mutation that dwarfs one, or contorts one. These we could propagate vegetatively.

As far as tapping for sugar, I don't care about that.

Hey Ron, thanks for your thoughts. If you have anymore, please share. I am still learning. But, I'm learning about something that excites me.
    eric

• ron48
    18 years ago

eric, on the maple forum there's a gentleman from Utah. He was reliving a visit this week with a gentleman who had a vast acer collection. You may want to contact him, he's brought up the soil problem in the past. He too is searching for answers.

Why not try to contact The International Plant Propagators Society (IPPS). Hort. Science, and see if they have any research on the subject. You may need the departments password to gain access.

Try a few grafts yourself. Your in the perfect environment for it!

Ron