Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indu_modali

fig cuttings

indu_modali
15 years ago

Need some helpful hints to take cuttings of fig tree and start a new plant. If I can get some help, I appreciate it. A while ago, one of my friends gave me a cutting from the bottom of the tree which had some roots also. I planted that in my garden and I have a lot of figs. I do not know how to do this. Thank you..Indu

Comments (8)

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

Have had little to no luck using cuttings. Have had great luck using "air Layering" a technique easy to do but hard to describe there are many books in the library that describes the procedure

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

This is what I will be doing. Pick a low limb and scrap the bark where it can reach the ground. Then use something to weight it down and let it form roots. A lot of times they do this on their own, so if any of your bottom limbs are touching the ground, check them for roots.
    Good Luck
    Pattie

• indu_modali
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the replies. Can this be done during winter months? I have three trees very close to my house. I can bend some of the lower branches and put some dirt on them and put heavy weight and see what happens by spring. Indu

• firbob
    15 years ago

I grow about 100 cuttings of `Brown turkey` every year.
    Best take soft nodal cuttings in May, wound lightly and treat with a liquid hormone (synergol).Pot into a 9cm pot, in 1 part peat,2 parts sand, compost mix, water in and place in a propagator or cover with plastic bag and then onto a heated bed of 65 degrees.
    They will callous at 2weeks, and root at 4-6 weeks.Then harden off.There is one pest that loves these cuttings and that is Scarid fly.But if they callous quickly this shouldn`t be a problem.The figs I rooted last year are in 5 litre pots with fruit on.
    Good look.

• greenthumbs2000
    15 years ago

I cut back our fig before the first hard frost.
    I strip all the leaves and cut the branches into 18 inch or so pieces. I put bundles of these pieces into 5 gallon buckets filled 1/3 with plain water and place the buckets in the basement.
    around christmas time (and every 4 to 6 weeks thereafter) I sift through, all the ones with roots go in pots and in the greenhouse (or a sunny window), the remainder go back in the buckets.
    Success rate is around 75% for me.

• indu_modali
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will try these and test my luck. Thank you all.

Indu

• indu_modali
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today is December 14th. I started cuttings towards end of Oct 08. I wrapped them in a heavy duty wet paper towel and put them in a ziplock bag. I put this bag in my bath room. Every one of them have developed roots and leaves on the tips. I planted them in independent pots and I have to wait and see how they will survive rest of the winter. Thanks for the wonderful tips. Indu Modali

• boizeau
    15 years ago

I saw a method that looks pretty good.

Get a clear 24 ounce soda pop plastic cup. Drill a few holes into the bottom and fill the cup with vermiculite.
    Dust the cuttings with a root hormone and fungicide, "many root powders already have it". plant about 3 in each cup.
    The clear plastic allows you to see when the roots are developing, at which point you can transplant into a very well drained 'high pumice/aggregate' potting mix.
    Rot is the big risk so a bit dry is always better than too wet. The initial rooting should not be exposed to afternoon full sun in the warm season. In the winter up north I think a south window is fine.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH