Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

An unpretentious but proud potherb

digit
17 years ago

Not all that long ago, I discovered Orach.

An unpretentious but proud potherb, it is a deep purple in my garden. And, at least, I am proud to have it there. We've had 3 harvest of stir fry greens from the hoophouse so far this Spring but Orach will be the first green from the garden. Tender and flavorful, it's very good raw and I've been nibbling on the volunteers in the garden now for a week. But, I've also planted seed so as to have a nice stand where I want it to grow.

These pictures show the mother plant from last year with all the little ones at her feet. The other photo is the largest plant in the garden at the moment. Unfortunately, these volunteers are not where I can allow very many to grow but keeping one will result in all the seed we could possibly need.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say, "Atriplex is a plant genus of 100-200 species, known by the common names of saltbush and orache (or orach). The genus is quite variable and widely distributed. The genus includes many desert and seashore plants and halophytes, as well as plants of moist environments. . . the favored species for human consumption is A. hortensis."

Wildgardenseed.com offers 5 different varieties but I got the seed from a friend a few years ago. Orach makes very rapid growth and can be successively sown throughout the Spring months. It is best when harvested at about the size of the larger plant but the little ones make a tasty tidbit for the gardener.

Comments (6)

• cnetter
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested in having any of this, I can bring some to the swap. I got loads self seeded all over the place.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

What does it taste like? Do you eat it raw or cooked or both? I never heard of it before until just recently here on RMG. I wouldn't mind trying one, cnetter!

Skybird

• fragrans
    17 years ago

far out! spring is finally here when we can start munching. i notice in your close up off to the right you have, it looks like to me, some wild lettuce. looks like dandelion but greener. cooks up real good as well. i love the purple color of orach. enjoy.

• emagineer
    17 years ago

A friend in the mountains had me try a "weed" last year. Your going to want the name and I can't even remember it right now. But it grows all over. We cooked it like spinach and was wonderful. Please bring some seeds to the swap, I'd like to attempt a patch.

• digit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't quite tolerate weeds in my garden - but that doesn't mean they don't show up. Lambs quarters may have been your friend's weed, Emagineer, if you are reminded of it by looking at the orach. They are closely related and fairly similar  flavor-wise. I have eaten lambs quarters for years and years but was very pleased that orach is far more tender. Both are related to spinach and that's why orach is sometimes called mountain spinach.

If you don't want orach everywhere - don't let it bloom and go to seed. However, it is neither a perennial nor a tough weed - just opportunistic. The seedlings may even show up in the lawn  however, they arenÂt too happy to be moved.

Fragran, that may be prickly lettuce to the right of the orach. It's growing beside the stepping stone in front of the neighbor's backyard gate (can I blame it on him? ;o). This was one the hens preferred over regular lettuce back when I had hens. (IÂve only tasted a leaf or 2 over the years.) Usually we find one good stand of pigweed which we harvest for a "mess" of greens at home. (Of course, this is growing in the neighbor's yard, as well. :o) And, purslane goes straight in my mouth if I'm tempted too long by 'em and they're where they've stayed out of the mud.

DigitS'

• digit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, and this is a very respectable SALAD vegetable despite me referring to it as a "potherb." It is just very tender and, of course, colorful and soooo early.

While it is still at the rosette stage - I prefer it to spinach.

D'S'