Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Fourth Of July In May

There's a Jackmanii clematis in there too, but not blooming much yet.

Yellow is a prominent part of the red-and-white flower.

I thought I'd throw this in--if you don't have 'Endless Summer' hydrangea--well, it is a terrific plant. Mine blooms for at least 6 months. I've been applying aluminium sulfate, which is what we have to do here to get a blue hydrangea flower. I am just starting to get a touch of lavender in the very pink flowers. It takes time to get the blue.

Well, heck, might as well throw in Clematis 'Wisley'.

And the ever old reliable, Gene Boerner. This one is badly virused, and it blooms like this anyway. I wonder what a non-virused one would do.

{{gwi:334619}}

Oh, and the back side of Fourth Of July...Wisley Clematis is there on the J&P tower.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (17)

• butterflymaiden
    16 years ago

Beautiful Photos!! I planted 4th of July last year and am anxiously awaiting to see how it does.

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

Dear hoovb, beautiful as always. What is the lavender-looking rose to the left of Fourth Of July? Love Endless Summer hydrangea. Careful adding the aluminum sulfate. I live in California too and I know our soil is alkaline, so we get pink, but my favorite color is blue. Well, I've made the mistake of rushing to make it blue and burning more than a few hydrangea bushes along the way.
    Hey, can you post some pics of your Evelyn rose-bush when you get the chance?

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

Absolutely wonderful gardens, roses, photos. Thanks for sharing them.
    Kathy

• BecR
    16 years ago

Lovely gardens! Wonderful color combos, and your plants look so happy & healthy. The lily pond is exquisite.

Please, do tell the names of the lavender roses.

Thank you for sharing.

Becky

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Great shots and neat hydrangea. I want it.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

OMG;Your roses and gardens is just gorgeous.I planted my 4th of July in a huge pot,and its really growing.I planned to keep it as a big bush,but might have to change my plans.Hopefully not,but I do like yours too.That Clematis is really pretty,too,and your GB makes mine look like a cutting.Its huge,compared to mine. can you please take a photo of your pool when them waterlilies are blooming?
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful roses.

Jean

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Hoov, just beautiful as always. I love the "Endless Summer" hydrangeas. I have to admit I like pink and I have the blue-hydrangea soil. Too bad we cannot swap. LOL. I struggled to keep mine pink without it turning lavendar.

Your garden is just gorgeous.

Jean, she lives in California. Roses grow big there, like cows do in Texas. Aren't they lovely.

I would like to have a pond like that but I know where I live what I would find in it, a big old water moc --- and then I would have a bulldozer in taking out the pool. Yep, they even got in our swimming pool when we had one of those.

• aamir
    16 years ago

Oh Wow, great roses and spectecular garden.

Aamir Waheed

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The lavender roses on the LHS in the 1st picture are (from nearest to farthest) Barbara Streisand, Purple Passion, Rose de Rescht, Intrigue, and the one right next to the pillar is pink Reine Victoria, with a couple of Black Bacarra nodding in from the extreme left.

On the other side of the path the roses (Veteran's Honor is one) were devastated by rabbits, they are just now recovering. I had to put up hardware cloth on the gates to protect them.

The Endless Summer Hydrangea is wonderful and I can't recommend it enough, and it is perfect for those spots that are a little too shady for roses.

YIKES! Water moccasins. I guess I can forgo the acidic soil for a snake free area. We have rattlesnakes in California but not in this particular area, not rocky enough. Lots and lots of lizards instead, and all they do is eat bugs.

Here's poor Evelyn, she got blasted by our recent 92F/50MPH wind/7% humidity weather just as she was about to start her flush, she looks bad, oh well...you can see some of the hardware cloth I put up to protect some nearly eaten-to-the-ground roses there on the RHS.

• timetogrowthegarden
    16 years ago

OMG your garden is beautiful! I love the Fourth of July rose. I have to have one. I love the Wisely clematis too. I saw one at the nursery the other day and passed it up. I wish I had gotten it 'cause now they are all gone.
    ~Melissa

• msjam2
    16 years ago

Love love love the photos!! Gosh, your garden is heaven!

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

hoovb, that Evelyn of yours is such a sight of beauty, even after being ravaged by heat and wind. I just got a baby band of Evelyn, from Heirloom Roses and I'm hoping I can get it to be as glorious as yours. It's off to a great start. Thank's for posting a picture of it.

• carla17
    16 years ago

It's so nice to see your beautiful roses and surroundings. That Fourth has had the clematis for dinner. It's amazing.

Carla

• niecey
    16 years ago

OMG!
    This is paradise.
    Niecey

• BecR
    16 years ago

Thanks Hoovb, for listing the rose names. I bought a Babs the other day--can't wait to see her in bloom. Hoping she will be as pretty as yours, one day.
    Becky

• mehearty
    16 years ago

Speechless.

Jealous.

Zone Envy.

=)

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Hoov....I have wanted to say how much I enjoy seeing your posts. I always get so excited when I see your name. I think your garden is beyond wonderful!!!

Thank you for sharing with us your piece of heaven!!!

Deb