Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

a happy dozen

I am not seeing a big, huge, mass flush of flowers in the yard this year. Rather, it is a few at a time, which is okay. It is more of a slow, steady supply. Here is a collection of what looked good in the past few days. The first is a single grandiflora called Windmill. Sometimes the petals recurve to look like the vanes on Dutch windmills.

The next one is the Austin rose Peach Blossom. I think it is very delicate.

The next one is one of the best pictures I have of Austin's rose The Prince.

The next one is the Austin rose The Herbalist which puts on a big show in the spring and scattered flowers later on. By parentage I could see it fitting in with the hybrid bourbons, but that is not where it went.

The next one is the new climber Purple Splash showing a couple of flowers. I hope there will be more. I think it would be quite showy. I also wonder how well it will do here because one of its parents doesn't like hot weather. Time will tell.

The next one leaves me drooling. It is Austin's rose Munstead Wood. I actually got a few reasonably good pictures of it. It appears to me to have more petals than The Prince. It certainly is not growing as tall as The Prince. For some reason, the flowers start out opening a deep pink which is apparent on the far left of the picture, but they darken to the dark, wine red. I know that some other roses do that also. This is just a heads-up observation.

{{gwi:222300}}

The next one is a faithful rose, an alba, Jeanne d'Arc. It has such pure white flowers, and usually lots of them, but this year I had to prune out a lot of the bush, and it doesn't look all that great as a total bush.

For some reason, and I am glad, the HT Heirloom was looking rather happy this spring.

{{gwi:311795}}

Another Austin orange wannabe is this nice rose, Carding Mill. I wouldn't mind having several of these if I had a place to put everything I thought I wanted.

In this next shot, I was trying to play with the lighting. I caught several blooms on the FL Blueberry Hill that looked good, but this one had the most dramatic lighting.

This little workhorse, the FL Blue for You was putting on a show. I have been rather impressed with it.

Finally, for this round, a florist FL called Blue Chip was showing its stuff. It was looking rather perky.

I hope you like these. Let me know what you think.

Comments (13)

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

beautiful.. I love Peach Blossom.. Would love to see more of her... Thanks for sharing.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

What a wonderful array of purples, Bustopher! and the singles are very charming! Blue Chip and Heirloom HT are jaw-droppin'! Hey, first flushes are always the slowest and the lightest of all flushes, anyway. If they are bigger than normal it seems to take forever! I like slow and steady because then the flush actually extends much longer and there's always color on the bush that way. I hate having an empty bush devoid of color because all the blooms happened all at once then fade at the exact same time, lol! I loooove slow and steady because once a bush gets going it keeps on going and giving constant color. You'll have lots of joy with your bushes....

• bgrose
    12 years ago

I am especially in love with the Herbalist and the dark red wine roses: the Prince and Munstead Wood! Herbalist looks specatcular because it is covered with so many blooms and the wine roses respond to my new obsession and love for dark roses. Your garden is very lovely!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I agree--the Herbalist is quite impressive--I've never seen one before. But the dark red wine roses are great also. But then so is Heirloom. But . . . but . . . but. . .let's face it, they all look grand! LOL

Kate

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

Everything looks so healthy! And I love how the garden is so natural looking, as if one has stumbled upon an open forest or meadow of roses here and there - My favorite would have to be The Prince - you've reaffirmed my choice in adding that one to my "Austins / English Roses" wish list :)

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Blue Chip...Please! Love it!! Your roses are outstanding, but I am just lovin your Blue Chip. I have a real "thing" for the blue/violet roses and I don`t have that one. Thank you for sharing......Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

They're all beautiful! But I love your art shot of Blueberry Hill!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

They look great!!! I'm so jealous of your Herbalist!! I would love that all over riot of blooms on my roses. Looks amazing!!

Munstead Wood, The Prince and Heirloom look amazing!!! Which one of these has the best scent?

Ooh la la how beautiful!!!

Carol

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Munstead Wood, The Prince, and Heirloom all have a good scent, but of these three, Munstead Wood's scent is the most consistent, at least to my nose. The Prince's scent can be strong or none at all depending on the conditions. Heirloom's is the same way. Munstead Wood seems to be the most steady, at least to me. As they say, your mileage may vary depending on your conditions.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Munstead Wood sounds like it has it all!! Mmmmmmm

Carol

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Munstead Wood! I must have several. Where did you buy yours? I think Carding Mill will go with them.
    Renee

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got both Munstead Wood and Carding Mill from David Austin's in Texas. If you are interested, by the way, I noticed that David Austin has his new roses out for next year listed on his site for England. There are a couple pinks, a white, an almost white, and a yellow/orange one that looks a bit like one J&P rose Citrus Splash.

• edauphin
    12 years ago

These are outstanding. Thanks for sharing them.