Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

Look Who's Coming To Dinner

Uh-oh. :-(

The delicious Alnwick Rose at Humpty Dumpty House.

jannike

Comments (9)

• inga007
    9 years ago

Lovely rose . Just hope the grasshopper does no harm.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Gorgeous rose! With or without the dinner guest, lol!

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Beautiful.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks -- I just love this rose. I planted it bare root this April during very hot weather, and it's been a stellar performer so far. Lots and lots of blooms despite the heat.

jannike

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

That beautiful mix of the pink and the light green really goes well together. That picture would look fantastic in a calendar.

I hope mine looks as nice as yours does. Mine was a bare root last year. It got a few wonderfully smelling flowers. I'm hoping for good things from this rose. :)

What do you think of yours?
    CArol

• CossecaRose_z3
    9 years ago

Hey Canadian rose - how did you overwinter it in zone 3? I tried overwintering some Austins last winter in pots in our big shed. They all died... I loved growing them I pots, but then, when winter comes...

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Looooove this rose!! Beautiful pic. This is my second year with it and it holds up to heavy rain too! Love all the diff coloring stages of it too. It smells divine!!!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I overwinter my 50 roses in large pots in my garage with the 2 cars. LOL Three car garage.

Here's what I do:

- I keep deadheading until it's time for them to go into the garage.
    - I keep feeding them and watering well until it's time for them to go into the garage.
    -Then when the temperature gets to be about -6C I cut all the leaves off at the point they join the heavier stem. I don't cut any height off of the plant.
    - At this point I water them really, really well and move them by dolly into the garage.
    - I cover them with thick blankets, layers of flannel sheets or sleeping bags.
    - My garage is insulated.
    - Then I leave them alone in the dark. Doesn't matter if the garage door is opened and closed.
    - Around January, I look and see if they're dried out a bit.
    - If they are, then I water each rose 1/2 cup.
    - I repeat this every month.
    - As the weather starts warming up, I take off some blankets - so they don't start making new growth in the heat.
    - Any new growth should be broken off as you would thorns - just push them to the side, and they'll fall off.
    - If you have only a few pots - you can start taking them outside during the day when it gets about 5 C outside. Bring them inside until the night temperature doesn't drop below 5C.
    - Remember to water really well once you take them outside.
    - If you have a lot - then either wait until night tempreatures are 5C before you take them outside - or cover them with blankets at night.

Hope this helps,
    Carol

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Carol and Prettypetals. Our zones are so different, Carol; I hope your Alnwick does well. I love this one, and can't believe how well it performs. It was not recommended for my hot, dry climate, but I fell in love with the deep cups in a client's garden and decided to take a risk. This one transforms from the cup shape to a ballerina rather quickly -- what a surprise! It holds its head high much like the lotuses in our pond, and it repeats very quickly. The color is enchanting; an extremely saturated powder pink that looks too pretty to be real. My camera does not capture its magic, but Alnwick has certainly captured my heart.

Grasshopper loved it too -- thank goodness there are plenty more where that one came from.