Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lerosier3

spinosissima suckers wanted

lerosier3
14 years ago

I am trying to put together a collection of spinosissimas. Many are not available through commercial sources and many of the ones that are available are mislabeled. If anyone has any spinosissima suckers that they don't want please let me know. I will provide a very loving home from them.

I have hundreds of varieties of old garden and modern roses that I can take cuttings from in exchange.

Comments (4)

• aquawise
    14 years ago

I have some old roses here at my 120 year old home in Utah. As fare back as I can find history on the place these roses have been here. One is a single petaled white arching plant, Another is a dark pink double very fragrant upright plant, then there is a single maroon arching/ climber? Then there is an old yellow hedge rose that blooms in may. Huge clusters of bright yellow flowers smelling wonderful. I have searched and cannot find a name for them, Long forgotten in the memories of the old folks here in town. There is a pink and white climber down the street that is also very old. It was planted in 1900. I have permission to get some starts if I like by the owner of the property and the great grandson of the lady that planted them long ago. If you would like some cutting or starts come spring I can get them for you, I would only ask for postage. Just wanted to share my little rose story with other rose lovers.

• kstrong
    14 years ago

I have a spinosissima hybrid that is a rarity that I could take cuttings from. It's already been pruned, so we need to wait for spring growth now to get cuttings however. As far as I know, it does not produce suckers, per se. Are you interested in the spinosissima hybrids? This one is "Painted Lady."

I'm also interested in getting cuttings of whatever rare gems you may have.

Kathy

• lerosier3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am definately interested in Hybrid spinosissimas. I have both Fenja and El Ariana (both imported from Europe) that I can take cuttings from after they bloom in the spring. I have been able to find very little information about Painted Lady other than it is an old white with pink stripes spinosissima. How big does it get? What can you tell me about it?

If it is a true Scots Rose propagation by cuttings might be difficult. Have you ever tried to propagate it that way?

I suggest you contact me directly. My email address is: lerosier3@verizon.net

• touchstone_the_clown
    14 years ago

I have a seedling of an openly pollinated spinosissima that is suckering. It's 2 years old, and never flowered.

It's still a baby-- It took a year alone to germinate the seed.

I collected the seed from Guadalupe Heritage Garden, possibly Harrison's Yellow... or their "mystery yellow spinnosima" which is its next door neighbor. Whatever the mother plant was, this seedling is 100% spinnosima. The thorns look like they shine in the sun when you look upwards at it.

I can't remember. I didn't expect the seeds germinate from such an old hip, or that the plant would be exceptionally healthy. But I fed it to my pet ringneck dove, so perhaps that's why the seeds germinated so well.

I will provide it to you granted that you don't share it with others, and to take pictures of the mature plant to upload on helpmefind.com in a few years.