Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramazz_gw

Lovely leucantha

ramazz
16 years ago

I kept this in a pot last year but decided it would be happier in the front yard. Boy, is it ever!

Becky

Comments (9)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!!

Pam

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I agree. It's amazing what can happen in the right location.

• matias_busch
    16 years ago

WOW!!

thanks for sharing your beautifull leucantha

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those of you who have grown this before - I am in 7b so I am worried about it surviving the winter (I see it is hardy to zone 8). Anything special I should do?

Becky

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

It has been pretty reliable for me in central North Carolina. The main problems seem to be drainage and overfertile soil where it grows rapidly and robustly, then comes to a screeching halt when it uses up all the nutrients. Slower growing specimens that get a regular boost of fertilizer, then get divided every 3-5 years last longer.

• wardda
    16 years ago

I've never successfully wintered over a leucantha in the ground here in New Jersey. A few years ago I gave up and just grew them in large pots that could be dragged into the garage when the weatherman called for a freeze. It is the only way I get to have plants the look like the one pictured since they can usually be kept going into early January.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Mine just started blooming, too, but it's taller with fewer stems and blooms. Yours is so lovely, Becky! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda

• ccroulet
    16 years ago

My "Santa Barbara" has stubbornly refused to bloom. It suffered severely during the freeze in January, but other S. leucanthas in the area (Temecula) are flowering.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I had one here in the piedmont of NC and it survived 3 winters in a row. This spring it failed to return and I think that it is due to the late freeze back we had around Easter since everything else was the same as in previous years. In the fall I leave the plant alone and don't prune it back until early spring. I also tend to mulch it with shredded leaves in late fall. This post made me realize that I didn't replace it this year and should have--it is one great plant! My Santa Barbara plant which was also planted last spring didn't return this spring either.

{{gwi:582508}}